1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alan Titmarsh or Monty Don?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Senior commenter

There was a joke about Alan Titmarsh, so lovely was he, that in the event of a national crisis, he would be used to make announcements of doom. Could Monty do some public announcement? He's just as reassuring but with a slightly more weighty edge to him.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Titmarsh.:)

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Titmarsh.

But Monty for reaching things down from high shelves.

needabreak and Nellyfuf2 like this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Am I being heretical if I say I’ve always found A Titmarsh slightly saccharin & annoying? Sorry.

lindenlea, maggie m, Marshall and 2 others like this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Yes. :D

Jamvic likes this.
  6. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Senior commenter

That's the whole point. Titmarsh used to be so wonderful. But does Monty have something rather more human and sensitive about him. Vulnerable but caring.

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

They're both bloody grating.

Jamvic and harsh-but-fair like this.
  8. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Monty. Hands down. Vulnerable but edgy. I once heard him speak to someone and he wasn't 100% lovely. It was on the telly. If it was real life I'd have been fan-girling too much to care.
    Watched him at GW Live. He was proper posh.

To clarify: My name is Flowersinspring and I am not a Monty Don stalker.

9. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Much prefer Monty, much more practical, Alan's programmes were too much about hard landscaping and not the plants. Although I seem to recall him acknowledging this at one stage.

Jamvic and needabreak like this.
  10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Monty Don all the way. And Nigel!

Jamvic, needabreak and lindenlea like this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

As Coronavirus spreads around the globe, here are some jobs for the weekend:

Now is the time to harvest the Aloe Vera that you planted last year. Combined with the alcohol you keep secretly stashed in the potting shed, it will form an excellent base for hand sanitiser.

Remember that equipment stored over winter needs preparing for the summer. Clean the rust off your personal ventilator and oil all moving parts.

If you don't have enough reading material, remember that The Complete Gardener, Down to Earth Gardening Wisdom, Japanese Gardens, Nigel: My Family and Other Dogs, and all of my other books can be purchased from Amazon and delivered to outsife your front door ...

Jamvic, border_walker and primarycat like this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I always love the way that Nigel and Nelly lie on the ground, eyes cast heavenward in despair as Monty enthuses about flowers and vegetables. I always imagine them thinking 'What is he on about? All you need to sow is lots of grass for bounding around on'.

13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Titmarsh doing those slimy ripoff Sunlife adverts puts him at the bottom of the pond (with Carol Vorderman and Parky).

Jamvic, maggie m and harsh-but-fair like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

To be fair I used to really enjoy Ground Force.

But I like Monty Don

Jamvic likes this.
  15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Agreed. But don’t forget Nell!

Jamvic and primarycat like this.
  16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I like Titchmarsh for his Saturday morning music programme on Classic FM, into which he feeds gardening ideas.
    I like Monty Don for his lovely garden and his faithful dog companions.
    On balance I'd go for Titchmatch.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Monty - intelligent and gives the impression that he will not take any prisoners .

18. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Sshhh - you'll have @Flowersinspring expecting him to put her under house arrest now.

Jamvic, minnie me and lindenlea like this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'd do what Monty tells me. Titchmarsh - I'd dig my heels in (sorry!) and think "Drop all that sentimental tosh Alan, I'll do my own thing thanks."

Jamvic likes this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Would Monty Don's dog go for Titmarsh?