1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alan Peat Sentence Types

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3381, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone have a list of Alan Peat sentence types and examples? I have some, but don't think that I have all of them!
    I'd really appreciate any help!
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    Does anyone have a list of Alan Peat sentence types and examples? I have some, but don't think that I have all of them!
    I'd really appreciate any help!
    Thanks

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Thank you for your help!

5. I have 25 Alan Peat sentence types, I made a prompt sheet with them on plus models of the usage, use it on supply as a resource for writing.

6. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

isn't outside (inside) alan peat? love those!

7. Yes, I think you're right, (actually I know you are right, but I didn't want to sound like I already knew).

8. Some;others.

3 bad - question ?

Double bind

3ad

De:de

Imagine 3
    ing, ed
    Double ly sentences

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Oh good... more things to make ticklists of!

10. NewJob2010

NewJob2010 New commenter

Does anyone have any more information/resources on this?
    Sounds interesting xx

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

http://www.sgfl.org.uk/subsites/view/default.asp?doc=5892

Seems to give a basic idea.

12. Any chance you could share the sheet?
    I'd really appreciate it - moving back up to Y5/6 this year and I think they'd really help!
    mrscox@yahoo.co.uk

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

14. This looks really interesting. I've seen it a few times on here but I've never tried it. Do you find that children are able to transfer these sentence types into their own writing? It looks a little complicated to me, but maybe I just need to give it a go!

15. I used them last year. My very able year 6s were able to rush through about 10 different sentences in the year, and loved them. There were so many examples of them littered through their SATS writing! They used them quite naturally in their own writing, and could point them out in their reading, too. The boys especially seemed to like the "formula" nature of it.
    My Y4s and Y5s had lots and lots of repetition with just a few sentence types. I went for some of th simpler ones, but ones with real impact on writing. the best was the "noun, who, which, where" with an embedded clause for extra information. E.g. Fred, who was possibly the best footballer the school had ever seen, scored three goals.
    Again, the children really caught onto the "formula" of it all. They seemed to really enjoy the repetition, and we made it a bit of a joke. I squashed it into virtually everything they did - we talked the sentence type in PE, we wrote them in virtually every subject, we looked out for them when reading.... and pretty much every child in the class wrote at least one in their end of year assessment piece.
    I'm a real fan. yes, they do look a bit complicated at first glance. I unpicked each one very carefully with the children and then we just practised and practised and practised.... and it worked!

16. I'm really struggling with 3 bad - question sentence types, did you find anything useful of that one?

17. I thought it was a clever idea to give sentences "a name", and thus a better handle on writing with a variety of sentences. I believe the Alan Peat's way would be to sprinkle a few different sentence types to writing exercises over the course of the year. I would ideally see them as tools to help the writing process, as in, "I need to describe the character, how could I do this? ...I would like to show the inner feelings of the character....How could I do this? There is a danger of turning them into a Hadyn Richards' writing exercise, this I think would be far from their original purpose, if I read Alan Peat's intention, correctly.

When on supply I have used a prompt sheet, or actually two sheets, which have served as examples of varied sentences which children could draw from, usually making suggestions of two to three types to use, but being happy if they selected any others.

18. Just scanning the TES website for info on Alan Peat sentences and notised you mentioned your prompt sheet. As new to Y6 need a little help, would be really greatful if you would email it to me.
    sarahpirie001@hotmail.com Many thanxs

19. Hi Shalteir,
    Please could you email a copy of your Alan Peat sentence sheet, please?
    Many thanks
    andyknox1@hotmail.com