1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Al R, Abu Dhabi

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by claytie, May 13, 2019.

1. claytie

claytie New commenter

I have a friend interested in Al R School/Academy?, Abu Dhabi - the one which opened in 2017 and is advertising a few positions at the moment. An ISR review slams it, but I'm aware that sour grapes can sometimes dictate the content of these reviews. Any first-hand experience or reliable feedback would be great, thanks.

2. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Confused as one is a school and the other is an acedemic one? Anyone know what the difference is? Is it the same institution??

3. mflnqt

mflnqt New commenter

I will send you a converstion thing on here... I know which school you are refering too

4. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

I worked in the city branch of said school 9 years ago, and whilst a lot has changed in that time, it wouldn't be my first choice of school. I quickly got out. My advice? Avoid any school with 'Al' at the beginning. It does no favours for your future prospects.

5. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

Dont do it

6. Cashworth24

Cashworth24 New commenter

Hi, please could you explain your comment further, RE: Avoid any school with Al st the beginning?

Thanks.

7. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I wouldn't agree with that - so many different school are Al *something* that its way too broad of a statement. To attempt to explain without naming schools areas of the city are Al Reem, Al Raha, Al Bandar, etc. so any school named after the area it's in would be Al xxxx School.

8. Cashworth24

Cashworth24 New commenter

Thank you. I'm starting work at a school with Al in the name. Everything seems fine.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  9. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

Lots of middle tier and lower tier schools start with Al. So, from my decade of experience here, you want to avoid schools beginning with Al. There are 2 in Khalifa City, maybe a third in the city that are worth a look, the rest, I'd be thinking twice.

10. obsiyea1

obsiyea1 New commenter

Al means the in English. There is no reason the reject a school because the name start with THE.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  11. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 New commenter

God Schools in Kalifa City. It's miles out of town and just villas and sand. Unless it's changed over 12 years that is. Cost me 15 quid in a taxi each time back from the city centre (Meridien Hotel area)

12. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

‘unless it’s changed over 12 years’... do you not know how rediculous that statement is? This is the UAE.... there are changes every 12 WEEKS that would put a civil engineer’s heads in a spin!!
    In 2019 (unlike in 2007) Khalifa A is a fully functioning mini city, with hospitals, hyper markets, and entertainment. Add to that it’s closeness to Yas Island and lack of traffic, make it a popular place to live and work. It has an excellent school (yes, starting with Al - albeit an American curriculum), as well as a couple of not so great ones.

Mr_Frosty likes this.