1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Al Khor community

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kateagos, Oct 17, 2018.

1. kateagos

kateagos New commenter

Hi,

Does anyone live in the Al Khor community in Qatar? I'm interested to here about what's it's like for a family to live there. How long to people generally live there for? Is it suitable for teenagers and toddlers? What are the villas like? I can't seem to find any pictures of the sort of accommodation we would be offered.

Thank you in advance!

2. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Depending on what the school offer really. If they are providing you a place in THEIR own compound then you will be fine. Compound living, meaning you are in a very big plot, community with different sports facilities and restaurants available. I am only talking about one particular huge school and European families there have lived there for 5+ years, some 15 - 16! The villas are big, spacious and presented well but the accommodation merry go round is very hard to predict these days. There has been certain stories about families experiencing a bait and switch action. Toddlers will settle fine but teenagers.... Well that will all depend on his/her ability to transition their social life quick smart. If this is your first positing in Middle-East then get your teenager and yourself for a huge shock. If this is your first QA posting but have been in the ME elsewhere.... Take it back 20 years and you're there!

Al Khor itself is a dead town and most families do take advantage of the pool, gym, tennis etc access that a certain school provide within the compound. But you can always head down to Doha for a weekend staycation if money is not an issue, certainly for 2 teaching couples.