1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Al Ain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Training_2_Teach, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

What is the average salary paid by schools in Al Ain?

There is one particular 'English speaking one' that offers salaries which are rather on the lower end and one that has vacancies arising almost throughout the year.

Those of you living in Al Ain..is there enough to do there or frequent trips to the bigger cities required?

Is it still known as the garden city of roundabouts?

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I don't know much about any of your questions but my former colleague moved there with his wife last year from Abu Dhabi and they both love it.

They're better off as rent is way cheaper than the capital and they aren't much for partying but they do go out for meals pretty regularly and there seems to be enough to do.

It's around 80mins drive to Abu Dhabi I think and a bit less to Dubai (I have no idea as I've never done it) so you can easily get to places with lots going on and probably get a good deal on a hotel room through Dnata or Trivago if you want to stay over.

No idea about salary, my former colleague is very cagey so I guess he took a pay cut but he has a 2 + maids apt for less than he was paying for a 1 bed in AD.

The only salary I've heard from Al Ain was a teacher I met on 2015, who told me they were getting 19k a month plus a 2 bed apt working for the East Sussex school in Al Ain. Seems high to me, even considering salaries were on average higher back then but could be true.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Al Ain is actually quite a nice place and it has the added advantage of being about as close to Oman as you can possibly get! The English-speaking school has hired one or two dodgy staff over the years...

4. HCBoy

HCBoy New commenter

Al Ain is lovely. Yes, it’s quieter than Dubai and Abu Dhabi, but that suits us fine in the week. Get a lot more experience of the local culture here too. Can get to the cities in 80-90 mins for the weekend if you want. As mentioned, accommodation is bigger and cheaper too.