1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Al Ain?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by claytie, Apr 15, 2019.

1. claytie

claytie New commenter

Has anyone got any experience of living and working in Al Ain, and also the school there which is English speaking?

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

The Pebbly beach school? I used to know someone who worked tere and they loved it - they had a 2 bed apt and a v high salary.

Al Ain generally - my ex colleague just moved over in December and loves it. It's a lot quieter then AD or Dubai - he loves that about it but it's definitely drivable (90 mins to AD - maybe less to Dubai?). It's cheap to live there both in terms of eating out and rent costs if you're finding your own place.

It wouldn't suit me though, a bit too much of a small town - but the people it suits seem to love it.

3. claytie

claytie New commenter

Thanks for that feedback, sounds good.....not sure it’s the same school, though; the one I’m looking at is ‘English Speaking’?

4. Mr_Frosty

Oh I just did a quick google and it's nto the same school. I had never heard of it - There's one review on Edarabia which looks like its from an ex student and its a good review and the ADEK report is okay - the previous one from 2016-17 was not great by the looks of it though.

I will see if my ex colleague knows anything about it.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There is a very positive thing to be said about Al Ain: it is very close to Oman! In fact, about half of the town is in Oman.

6. Mr_Frosty

Heard back from my ex colleague and they said that they don't know anyone working there but "apparently it's a very good school"

7. claytie

claytie New commenter

Thanks, Mr Frosty!

8. claytie

claytie New commenter

I was wondering about the standard of accommodation there. Can one expect a decent apartment, with access to a pool?

9. claytie

claytie New commenter

Not much info about Al Ain, in general. Looks appealingly unspoilt?

10. Mr_Frosty

I've only been to training in Al Ain and haven't seen much of the town but I'm sure a 1 bed with a pool is pretty easy to find and way cheaper than Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

You can have a look on propertyfinder.ae or Alain.dubizzle.com for some ideas tho dubizzle in particular has a fair amount of bait and switch but it should still give you a rough idea of what's available and at what price.

11. SunsetBeach

SunsetBeach New commenter

I used to have colleagues work in Al Ain. A lot people use the pools at local hotels at the weekend. It's much quieter than Dubai and Abu Dhabi but they are both within a reasonable travelling distance for weekends if that is what you want to do.

12. 7061wylie

7061wylie New commenter

I live and work in Al Ain and have done for about 3 years. I really like it but it isn't cheap compared to most places and costs in the gulf region just keep going up. Al Ain is great for families but less so for singles.

13. claytie

claytie New commenter

Thanks for all your feedback, everyone!

14. sammyanne1983

sammyanne1983 New commenter

I applied for the school a couple of years ago and was offered a position, however the package offered to me was quite a lot less than other schools. (We have 2 school age children and they only offered a 25% discount for the school fees, also the salary offer was substantially less) and as my husband was not working, this offer was unfortunately too low for us to consider.
    Since being in the UAE, we have visited Al Ain which we really enjoyed as there is plenty to do as a family and it is beautiful. We also found the local people very friendly and were very helpful.
    Good Luck