1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AIWS - Anyone ever heard of it?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mmm...Milk, Nov 25, 2011.

1. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. It's a sort of migrane related visual disturbance, usually without the pain of a migraine. There are different sorts of symptoms, such as body parts appearing to disappear into the ground or walls, or objects appearing to be much bigger or further away than they are. Really, as the name suggests, like Alice in Wonderland, where she would shrink or grow and things were different sizes.
    I think my daughter had it (and I did when I was younger, very occasionally now), but just wondered if anyone else had heard of it or experianced it.
    Thanks

2. Yes, although I didn't realise it had a name or list of symptoms. I tend to get these symptoms before I get migraines and when I am very tired. I usually feel suddenly as if I'm growing taller and my head is expanding and floating. It is more usual when I am in the dark as I don't have a visual frame of reference then. When it is light it tends to manifest more as vertigo.
    I also suffer from episodes of sleep paralysis at around the times I get this as well.

3. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I have come across it, although only recently when I was checking whether the migrains I thought I had experienced was actually a migraine as the severe headache never really developed.
    I had visual aura accompanied by a feeling of impending doom. That then moved into loss of awareness of the left hand side of my body and loss of left peripheral vision.
    It took 48 hours after the symptoms "stopped" before my arm actually came back to working properly without causing pain - was extremely odd!

4. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Haveing looked around, it is very, very common and people are pleased to know that they aren't the only ones and they aren't mad. This doesn't help my little girl, but fortunatly they seem to have settled for the moment. I have learned to live with them, but they are very, very weird. I would rather lie in bed with that though than have a blinding headache and wonder at what point the vomiting is going to start!