1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Airport sleepovers- the worst and the best!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nedkelly, Feb 11, 2012.

1. You have just finished that long-haul flight, and the thought of spending 6 or more hours in a transit lounge waiting for a connecting flight now confronts you. If you're dog tired, and you almost certainly are, then you would probably "kill" for a nice comfy lounge, bench, or even a seat (if you're a contortionist!) in which to have a quite hour or two of shut eye. While some airports seem to cater quite well for the sleep-deprived transit passenger (free showers, sleep lounges, clean and safe areas) other airports it seems are definitely best avoided.

In "The guide to sleeping in Airports" Manilla International airport (terminal 1) was recently voted the least favourite airport for a sleepover. It cited reasons such as safety concerns, lack of comfortable seating, rude staff, hostile security, poor facilities, no (or few) services to pass the time, bribery, being kicked out at night or just general hassles of being in the airport.

[​IMG]

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/worst-airports.htm

Now I have never been to Manilla, but for mine the worst airport would have to be Mumbai, followed closely by Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport. What do you think? In which airport would you least like to spend more than 6 hours in transit, or have an overnight sleepover? Or conversely, which would be your most favourable airport in this regard?

2. You have just finished that long-haul flight, and the thought of spending 6 or more hours in a transit lounge waiting for a connecting flight now confronts you. If you're dog tired, and you almost certainly are, then you would probably "kill" for a nice comfy lounge, bench, or even a seat (if you're a contortionist!) in which to have a quite hour or two of shut eye. While some airports seem to cater quite well for the sleep-deprived transit passenger (free showers, sleep lounges, clean and safe areas) other airports it seems are definitely best avoided.

In "The guide to sleeping in Airports" Manilla International airport (terminal 1) was recently voted the least favourite airport for a sleepover. It cited reasons such as safety concerns, lack of comfortable seating, rude staff, hostile security, poor facilities, no (or few) services to pass the time, bribery, being kicked out at night or just general hassles of being in the airport.

[​IMG]

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/worst-airports.htm

Now I have never been to Manilla, but for mine the worst airport would have to be Mumbai, followed closely by Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport. What do you think? In which airport would you least like to spend more than 6 hours in transit, or have an overnight sleepover? Or conversely, which would be your most favourable airport in this regard?

3. = quiet

=Manila~ not the folder!

..I blame the spellchecker [​IMG]

4. There's a website dedicated to reviews of sleepovers at airports if you are looking for that.
    I think you'll find that very few teachers spend the night at airports. Once did at night at Barajas in Madrid and will never sleep in an airport again!

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

That is such a coincidence for you to post that Ned as the longest stop over I ever had was on a cheap flight home from London on Phillipine Airlines. We were in Manila for nine hours but it was so long ago now I can't remember it. Nothing made a permanent bad impression though so I can't imagine it was that bad.
    Worst experience was in Kuwait airport on my very first trip overseas. Got there at 5'ish in the morning, it was still dark and I tripped over someone who was praying. Nasty.

6. I don't think you can do worst than Luton airport.

7. Vancouver to Bangkok with a stop over in Seoul. Seoul airport has a little hotel in the terminal. Rooms were clean, tidy, quiet and extremely small.
    I remember a similar set up in Delhi (years ago), but the hotel was 1/2 a mile away, was scummy and definitely more of a hostel than a hotel. I didn't sleep so well in that one.

8. The worst airport in the world has to be Baneasa in Bucharest.

9. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Try Murtala Muhammed in Lagos, Nigeria! Smelly, lack of facilities, unsafe etc etc etc.

Best Dubai - but have only ever travelled through there when flying business class so have had use of the Emirates lounge - simply so worth it!

10. ..I do, and so do several of my aussie colleagues...esp on long haul flights between anywhere and aus. I suppose there are the lucky ones, either within short commuting distance to their motherland, or otherwise with deep pockets who don't mind paying excessive rates to stay overnight in an airport hotel.
    Yep, and I've provided the link to just that!
    Regardless, there are some really bad airports out there, and some excellent ones too. I think it's a worthwhile exercise to get some feedback on this.
    cheers

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Some favourites here.
    Mrs D., who has done a lot of commuting recently for study purposes, is one of the 'frequent cryers' of Luton airport.
    And Mumbai... you can change the name of a place, but tradition is tradition. Back when it was named otherwise, I spent a night on the airport on the way home from God's Own Country.
    Well over thirty years later, I still sometimes start bolt upright in the middle of the night, an agonised shriek murdering the silence, the duvet awash with sweat and urine. Mrs D. turns over and says, "It was Bombay again, dear, wasn't it? Never mind, love, back to sleep, it's all over now..."

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Geeze Dude what happened in Bombay to provoke that?

13. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Long time ago, now, yaz.
    Maybe the nightmares refer to things that happened further South and East...

14. had 17 hours in Dar es Salaam during a storm. No food, no water to flush the loos, , beer was available but that meant going to the loo which were becoming increasingly unsavoury.. Entertainment was a portable backgammon set that we had with us, I won 64/63 (games that is) Not so bad really until you add Tammy Wynett into the mix. D.I.V.O.R.C.E. came round on the tannoy every 47 minutes, the song still (17 years on) brings me out into a cold sweat.

15. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Ahhhhhhhhh!

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Spent 14 hours in Heathrow. Awful.
    Another 12 in Frankfurt. Awful.
    I associate layovers with pain. Yep. Hate them. You're either running around frazzled or sitting around bored.
    Has anyone found a way to make it pleasant?

17. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Well GG, I was very lucky on one flight back from England. I was sitting next to a Scottish woman who was coming to Australia to visit her twin boys who had settled here. We just immediately clicked and nattered the whole way home including a six hour stop in Changi. I had never had what seemed like such a quick flight! That was 23 years ago now and we still see each other every year when she comes out to see the boys.
    Generally speaking though, no. Flights are something to be endured, especially the long haul from Aus to Europe. I often feel like I'm going insane.

18. Maybe it's an Antipodean thing, but I've spent the night in an airport. I was in Nicaragua and my flight out was from Costa Rica, so I hopped on a bus to take me over the border and into San Jose for the night before catching my early morning flight.
    When I heard that the bus was going to literally pass the airport gates before continuing on to San Jose, several km away, it seemed silly to go into the city, orient myself, find somewhere to stay, etc., etc., only to get up early and come all the way back.
    It was a terrible airport to stay in. It was far too early to check in, so I had to remain on the main concourse which was small and spartan. Few seats, practically no amenities and guards who did the rounds to make sure that people didn't actually try to stretch out on seats that were designed not to encourage it.
    I have to say though, that I've seen places that would be even worse to try to get a few zzzzzs before a flight.

19. Best airport to sleep in: Vancouver YVR: free wifi throughout, beautiful, clean, chilled out, loads of places to eat all all price points, room to sleep (chairs without armrests: that is key)
    Had a super long layover at New York's JFK. Wouldn't want to do that again.

20. 22 hours in Moscow (couldn't be bothered with a visa) - something I will never ever do again!!