1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

airport role play ideas?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Teacher1212, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Just brainstormng ideas for resources etc I can use for my new role play area set as an airport which I intend to set up next week-thought luggage labels, passports, money etc.Perhaps a world map in there?
    Wanted some suitcases (anyone have any ideas as to where can get mini ones or toy ones? (CHEAPLY)
    Any other ideas very welcome

2. Just brainstormng ideas for resources etc I can use for my new role play area set as an airport which I intend to set up next week-thought luggage labels, passports, money etc.Perhaps a world map in there?
    Wanted some suitcases (anyone have any ideas as to where can get mini ones or toy ones? (CHEAPLY)
    Any other ideas very welcome

3. Not sure if this fits with what you are doing but we recently did this - we had one side of the role play as you describe then the children could go straight to 'the plane'. Rows of seats, little blankets, magazines, trays with plastic cutlery etc.
    We made passports which the children really loved.

Not sure about the suitcases but we made a brilliant x-ray machine with a cardboard box and some strips of tissue hanging down the front!!

4. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

You might find some cheaply in a charity shop, it is amazing what you can find in them. We have made several story sacks with items from charity shops. We also got 4 childrens sleeping bags for 50p each so we could 'go camping'

5. Hi,
    I don't know if this is useful or not, but I have been digging in my school cupboard and found an airport set, complete with pilot's hats and hostess stuff with guidebooks that came from Manchester Airport. From the literature it seems that in 2006 anyway, they did tours of the airport. I do not know if you live near, but maybe you could contact them about the set. It is stored in a cardboard suitcase and there is also a big book all about the airport.

There is an email address it is tourcentre@tasmanchester.com
    Good luck.

6. post email and I'll send you a load of stuff I have from Manchester Airport

7. notascientist!

notascientist! New commenter

Hi, we are looking to do an airport/airplane in our role play and would be very interested in the stuff you have.
    Sorry about jumping onto your message but could you send me some too?!
    Thanks
    greyhound0104@yahoo.co.uk

8. Just realised the Manchester Airport stuff is too big for email. But it can now be downloaded at:

http://www.magworld.co.uk/eduweb.nsf/Content/KS1#<font size="2"></font><font size="2">The Let's Play...stuff is good and there are 2 online big books. Links from there to KS2 also</font>

9. I've got an airport in my inside role play at the moment. Outside I set up a travel agents role play. The children love this and are making connections between the both - they go to the travel agnts, book a holiday, collect their tickets then go inside to catch there plane and have their passports stamped!! They love it!
    In the travel agents we have a waiting area with broachers, a reception, desks, keyboards, telephones, paper, memo white baords and pens, diaries, flight tickets, reciept books.

In the airport we have a check in, laptop, scales to weigh luggage, passports, stamps to stamp passports, the plane, trolly with food and drinks on, magazines, books about different countries, cones with numbers on, holiday checklists, paper, pencils.
    Hope this helps.

10. We did an airport visit prior to having a role play area where the staff kindly carried out a mock checking in process. This really helped the children to take ownership of the role-play area back in school.
    What really motivated the boys to take part in the role-play was the talk of banned items like guns, knives and bombs!

11. Hey!!! Lovely stuff!!! Thanks a lot!!!

12. Oh thank you that would be great!
    my email is
    helen.nathaniel@hotmail.co.uk