1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Airport Check in

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peninhair, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Someone who is used to foreign travel,
    I am hosting an exchange and need to get my exchange partner back to Heathrow (Terminal 5) for their flight at 2pm. I know that check- in needs to be 3 hours before. I haven't done long-haul for ages so need some help, being a bit thick I think. Does that mean the desk will open 3 hours before or that they need to have checked in completely 3 hours before?
    All advice gratefully received as I don't want her to miss her flight or be hanging around for ages either.

2. Someone who is used to foreign travel,
    I am hosting an exchange and need to get my exchange partner back to Heathrow (Terminal 5) for their flight at 2pm. I know that check- in needs to be 3 hours before. I haven't done long-haul for ages so need some help, being a bit thick I think. Does that mean the desk will open 3 hours before or that they need to have checked in completely 3 hours before?
    All advice gratefully received as I don't want her to miss her flight or be hanging around for ages either.

3. dande

dande New commenter

I would say that check in opens about 3 hours before. Although you can often check in the day before/on-line etc. Check in usually closes something like 30-45 minutes before the flight leaves. I advise you check with the airline, but I would err on the side of caution and be there in plenty of time. What about traffic getting to the airport?

4. Some airlines are different from others. You might be best to check on their website.

5. dande

dande New commenter

The following refers to BA
    It is important that you check in for your flight and get to the gate on time.
    <ul id="rrul2" class="tsList"><li id="rrli54">You must be in possession of a boarding pass by the time check-in closes, or you will not be accepted for the flight. <li id="rrli55">Make sure that you allow enough time to complete the necessary security checks at the airport, and get to your gate on time. <li id="rrli56">All British Airways check-in desks at London Heathrow and Gatwick will close <strong id="rrstrong0">45 minutes[/b] before the flight departs.[/LIST]

6. I know that with Easy Jet the check-in desk will close 30 minutes before the flight departs.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Can they not check in online? x

8. It will be that check-in opens 3 hours before. Plan to be there 3 hours before (4 if you want to be really cautious) and if your a bit late you should be fine - as people said checkin usually closes 30-45 mins before departure.
    Also check online for any problems on the roads.

9. Brilliant! Thank you all.
    Online check in a good idea.
    I will be relying on our railway system so might give them a little bit of extra time anyway!

10. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Many airlines open their check-ins very early, especially at Heathrow (as they don't have much space and need people out of the way).
    Online check-in is helpful but only comes to real good if you have no bags to take on. If you have bags, you still need to join the normal queue to check them in.
    Well, again, does depend on the airline. Last time I flew (can't remember the airline) they had a separate line for internet check-in (baggage drop). So it only took a few minutes.
    There have been many times when I have arrived 4-5 hours early and they have checked me in [​IMG]

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

When we fly long haul we aim to get to the airport no earlier than 2-3 hours before the flight is due (if its Gatwick closer to 3, Heathrow closer to 2) and we always have plenty of time to browse the duty free and usually grab a small bite to eat.