1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Airline School Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Jaybe876, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Jaybe876

Jaybe876 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anybody had information on the fairly new airline School in Doha, what it's like to work there and the package they offer?

Thanks

2. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

i had an interview with representatives from this school last year (orbital education). I don't know much about the package because when they offered me the opportunity to ask questions of my own, they could not provide any adequate information such as, what is the actual salary, what is the tuition fees for dependants (she mentioned she isn't sure but it will be maybe 25% of tuition fee), what schemes of work and exam board the school followed as part of the British curriculum, what the contact hours with pupils etc. i ended the interview feeling some what dismayed and got the impression they had no clue. i'm hoping someone who actually works at the school perhaps has some more recent knowledge of the place. after the interview I got the impression working couples and singles were the ideal candidates as they asked quite a fair few of probing questions about my family, spouse and dependants, (i did willingly offer answers) although of course they did make it clear the 'most suitable' candidate would be selected irrespective of family.

3. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

I've heard that the package is bout middle for Doha. The accommodation is supposed to be pretty good. As a new school my understanding is that they are still in the development phase so lots to be organised.moving forwards. Apparently a nice place to work.

4. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Salary is lower than other schools but the accomodation package is good. It's weird how they salary is almost same as accomodation allowance for new teachers. They interviewed a lot of people recently

5. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

If what you are saying is true then the reason for a low salary is so that they calculate your (mandatory) gratuity from a lower salary. For example, 10,000QR x .75% rather than 15k × .75%....

Lots of new schools do this. Which to say the least is an "accountant's initiative".. If the airline school follow the work 5 years straight and get 100% of last salary x 5 years then that's a whole lotta money.

6. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

I wasnt talking about base salary.

7. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

What is their salary? Anybody?

8. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Base salary is what they use to calculate gratuity.

9. amlolex50

amlolex50 New commenter

Does they airline school provide a provide a package for families?

10. amlolex50

amlolex50 New commenter

How good is it?

11. Noahs-Ark

Noahs-Ark New commenter

Does anyone have any further information about this school package/salary/accommodation?
    Thanks

12. cookiemonster611

cookiemonster611 New commenter

I had an interview with this school last year- I had similar questions. The interviewer said she shall get back to me with the answers to my questions within the next three days- Never heard back from anyone representing the school.

13. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Business side of things are becoming more evident. It is a shame because the flying co does want and will invest to look after the pilot's and other staff's children. Clue for the package question.

Plenty of NQT to <5 years experience hires for all positions. Not saying T&L are poor. But those who have been around the block knows why an establishment will have this recruitment model.

Accommodation. Did have issues but apparently that was sorted last year. Housing allowance is an option but won't get you housing by the sea.

The children in this school are wonderful and polite children. Which makes a HUGE difference working in this speck of the sand. This school has HUGE, HUGE potential if they get the business side to balance out with the education side... But then again this notion/hope can be said with the plenty of other establishments around the world.

14. Noahs-Ark

Noahs-Ark New commenter

can I please send you a conversation request I have a few questions.

15. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

I’ve got an interview next week and have started to do some research but it is very hard work. They seem to know what exam boards they are using but there is not lots of info about the package. I would love to hear what ppl think of the school and also Doha.

please PM me if you can offer any insight - it would be really appreciated !