1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Airline Food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jan 28, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Some's good, some's atrocious and some's just in between.

The best I've had was MEA, smoked salmon, chicken breast with asparagus and Air France, smoked salmon, Bouef Bourguignonne and 2 glasses of Champagne.

I also spent a day at a flight catering company at Gatwick, they do the meals for BA and I was delighted to find on when we lfew to South Africa. However the return trip was dire, either Durban Curry or fish, neither of which I like, so had some manky pasta, yuk.

What was the best and worst airline meal you've had?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Some's good, some's atrocious and some's just in between.

The best I've had was MEA, smoked salmon, chicken breast with asparagus and Air France, smoked salmon, Bouef Bourguignonne and 2 glasses of Champagne.

I also spent a day at a flight catering company at Gatwick, they do the meals for BA and I was delighted to find on when we lfew to South Africa. However the return trip was dire, either Durban Curry or fish, neither of which I like, so had some manky pasta, yuk.

What was the best and worst airline meal you've had?

3. I had a lovely breakfast on a Lufthansa flight many years ago...the juice was 'pulpy', the bread rolls were fresh, the coffee was freshly perced and strong, and there was a choice of fresh fruit.

Worst? Well. let's ignore the time I booked a veggie meal and they didn't have any left!...I was offered a kosher meal instead! ...

There was a dreadful meal on a BA fllight....ham and wilting salad, dry roll that crumbled to dust when you tried to butter it, and a portion of tinned fruit....in their defence we were 'warned' that due to technical difficulties they had no facilities for heating/cooking meals on the flight and had managed to get this ersatz-meal loaded at the last minute.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Best I've had was on Emirates on a flight back from Perth, via Dubai, and somehow managed to wing an upgrade to Club Class, despite looking like I'd spent the previous 2 months sleeping in a gutter (I was returning from a self-propelled travelling expedition, shortly before starting my PGCE). I was evidently the only person in the whole section who hadn't specifically paid for it.
    It was about 7 courses, including Champage and canapes, which was followed by various dishes I can't remember in their entirety, but which included a spiced fish dish with tahini, a chicken and rice pilaff that was beautifully fresh and moist, a rich saffron and yoghurt dessert with some kind of cake and coffee/cognac/petits fours...all with endless wine. I was as happy as a pig in the proverbial...

Worst was an ice-cold ham roll served with a thimble-full of tea thrust upon us on our journey home from Crete on Thomson last year.

I must confess, I always enjoy the airline meal experience, even when it's dreadful, as it provides a little entertainment and takes up at least an hour of the flight time. The little frozen bread rolls with little packets of rock-hard butter make me glow with nostalgia, as do the celophane packets of dry cream crackers and sweaty gouda.
    There's always some odd tasting salad with an unidentifiable viscous substance at the bottom, that tastes precisely of nothing, and you can guarantee that no matter how long you leave it until you open your main, the resulting escaping steam will scald your fingers so that you can't feel anything with them for a couple of days.
    And, you can guarantee that your choice will run out before they come to ask you, because you've managed to sit on the row that gets served last on the whole plane, so it's invariably salmon with the texture of polystyrene blocks, or burnt chicken "fillets", and never the beef casserole that actually looks quite pleasant!

5. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

The grub is good on Singapore Airlines - however, I'm not a fan of Singapore noodles and the like for brekkie. I go for the veggie option.
    Avoid Continental aka, Pasta Air

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Worst I ever had was on a Virgin flight - cold tinned chicken soup with pieces of bread that were so stale that they curled up at the sides. Best was on Singapore Airlines - I can never quite match the Singapore Noodles, no matter how I try!

7. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I find most airline food sooo salty- the worst thing on a flight where you are already dehydrated most of the time.
    The best food I've had was with Korean Air when we went to South Korea - bimbibap (Korean dish) and a really nice yoghurt.
    The worst was probably on the way back from Dubai with Air France - I can't even remember what it was supposed to be - some sort of congealed lump of 'meat' with a jelly type substance in there - eurgh!

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

I had good food on Air Mauritius last year - mind you , I rarely fly (we tend to drive across Europe for summer hols) so I probably am not a good judge: I just know it tasted nice!

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Everything is relative. I struggle to see it's possible to prepare good food for a flight. It's sustinance, nothing more.
    A friend's son returned from Australia today on Air Malaya or Malayan Airlines or whatever. He said it was great.
    The best meal I've ever had when flying was when we flew with Ryanair back from the South of France on 25p tickets. There was no way I intended to get ripped off with the cost of their sandwiches, and as we'd paid little for the flight, we left a couple of hours earlier than the check in required and dined at a restaurant on route to the airport.
    I've often wondered what the big deal is with in-flight catering. One of my daughters worked for a while in the travel industry and we discussed the need to serve food on a relatively short-haul flight. Apparently, from what she had been told, it's a legal requirement.
    Around 20 years ago, on a BA flight somewhere we were served our food with proper metal cutlery, albeit the knife and fork were rather small. Mrs modelmaker retained hers and for many years retrieved them from her handbag whenever we went on an impromptu picnic to spead butter or open cheese packets and the like. Sadly, she forgot to remove them from her handbag on a recent occasion that we flew and they were confiscated along with her nail scissors after her bag was X-rayed.

10. There are plenty! But the all time worst meal I've ever had goes without a shadow of a doubt to the unidentifiable meal journey on the worst airline ever (the seats were so uncomfortable, it was like sitting on a toliet seat but worse.) All the passengers were asking each other what the food was and looking confused. It was either chicken or fish, but it really could have been anything. Some processed rubbish. Must have asked the air hostess but I can't remember what it was in the end.

11. I read it wrong tired eyes! I meant worst food of course.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Air South Africa produces stunning food and excellent wine......mind you, I was in First/business class but I'm comparing it to similar class flights on other major ailrlines.
    Worst was Air China.....again business class.............where the only drinks on offer were (warm) beer or water and the food was a tray of lukewarm stewed 'genitals' (well, that's what it looked like).

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It may well have been!!

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Needless to say I didn't eat it Lapin!

15. Worst = Think it was BA - a choice of prawn or egg mayonnaise in a soggy cheesy bread roll. A really weird choice at the end of a 10 hour flight.

Best = American Airlines en route to Chicago. Deep pan pizza followed by popcorn and ice cream during a film. I was about 12 and thought it was amazing (still would!)