1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Air fresheners

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by vegetarian, Feb 26, 2011.

1. We have a member of staff that is allways using air fresheners around the nursery, i have said to her that they are bad for your health and for the children . What do other people think about this.

2. We have a member of staff that is allways using air fresheners around the nursery, i have said to her that they are bad for your health and for the children . What do other people think about this.

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I personally wouldn't use them because of the fear of a child having an asthma attack but I've no idea as I've not seen any evidence to suggest that they would.

4. I don't like them because i have an allergy to these things, i have said this to her but she still buys them.

5. I regard them as a source of pollution and I believe it is wrong to impose them on others, children or adults. OK, so there might be a bad smell - it needs dealing with at source, or if temporary (you know...), tolerated with good humour until it dissipates, air fresheners just cover it up for a while anyway - sometimes with a worse smell.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't have an allergy though some scents give me a headache] but I hate them anyway. They smell coarse and synthetic and they're an imposition. If something smells bad, it should be dealt with, not masked.
    There's something doubly revolting about a toilet in which a pooh smell has been masked by a horrible aerosol that clings to your clothes.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

That might come across as a bit sanctimonious.
    When smoking was banned in pubs, the disgusting stink of old spilt beer etc was no longer masked and pubs smelt even worse. Perhaps that's' why so many of them have done away with carpets - the smelliest things in any environment where things are spilt.
    Nursery carpets - yucchh. Milk, vomit and walked-in dog pooh. Maybe your setting stinks [ no offence] and needs a thorough clean and clear-out. Join forces with this member of staff in a campaign to make your setting clean.
    If she's just a scented candle sort of person, you'll have to put your foot down. Personally, I get a headache at the very mention of the words 'scented candle' because I like the smell of fresh air. Do you open windows?

8. We have a door open when it's not to cold, i will have a word with her on monday and tell her what i think about them, if that dose not work i will go to the manager.

9. Another debate at the cutting edge of education on the EY forum....[​IMG]

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Debate? Of course not, so don't be daft. Since when did every thread have to be a debate? Early Years has its own challenges and they're often rather basic.
    That is not to say that some of the best debating [term used loosely] on the TES forums doesn't take place on the EY forum.

11. This is something I feel strongly about. My daughter had her worst and most frightening asthma attack as a result of using aerosol polish when helping with the housework. At the hospital, the aerosol was identified as the trigger, without hesitation. Although possibly not a subject for debate, I feel that, as part of our responsibility to keep children safe, we should never use areosols near children (I never use them at all now)

12. I cant stand air fresheners but I do sometimes wonder when I'm in the supermarket queue on a Thursday night if I smell like my classrooom...milk, pooh and grime, grime, grime. We really try to keep it fresh and sparkly but it's a losing battle.The cleaner hoovers the filthy stinking carpet (which I cleaned with a personally hired machine in the half term hols to no avail) and cleans the toilets and that's it.
    Thank goodness Spring is in the air and we can continue to open the windows but necessarily wear our coats indoors!

13. Sort out smelly sand with a solution of Baking Soda and water[​IMG]

Must say I hate false smells too...

14. Air fresheners, the spray type, could set off an allergic reaction. They also work by releasing CFCs which have been proved to thin the ozone layer.