1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ain't it amazing what you learn from the news?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Jamvic likes this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Bears .... woods .....

Jamvic likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

What's new?
    In days gone by you had to get a sick note from your doctor to prove your sick. Now you self authenticate and don't have to prove sickness,no matter what the consequences are to your employer.
    As to being 'English is not new, but often its claimed as a British malaise.
    The fact we do it more often points to the ease of doing so, and the lack of desire to work in some cases.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Love it. The article also reports workers stealing and sexual harrassment but headlines throwing a sickie? Morals indeed!

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I always thought that the expression "pull/throw a sickie" was an Australianism with "call in sick" being its proper British equivalent. The TV soap "Neighbours" has plenty to answer for, including the widespread adoption here in recent decades of "uni" as a colloquial abbreviation of "university".

towncryer and Jamvic like this.
  6. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I started work in 1987 and didn't need a sick note for the first week. Don't think that has changed in 32 years.

I like to think we do it more because we are rebels.

I've been known to throw a sickie or two when I fancy a day off. Indeed, I work when I am ill so I can enjoy a day off when I'm not.

Jamvic and colpee like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Of course you should take a day off in lieu if you work when you're ill.

I'm reminded of the story of the bloke who turned up late for work then left early. When the boss asked where he thought he was going, he replied "Home. Well I didn't think you'd like it if I was late twice in the same day..."

Jamvic and Stiltskin like this.
  8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Only if your employer pays you. Otherwise is no pay for 3 days and then SSP

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

When I was self-employed I had workers on my books, It was a pain in the rear when they took a sickie. Usually when there was some graft involved. I often had to do the job on my own and in some cases lost a contract or it was late finishing.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

The full report discussed the fact that younger workers are more likely to complain if a man touches a woman on the back, whereas older ones might not see this as sexual harassment, or believe that it is any worse to 'pat on the back' an employee of a different gender.
    Though very few teachers I know/knew have ever taken a sickie. Would most of you say the same, I wonder? I have seen teachers turn up, work all day and then do extra tasks when they arguably look far too ill, and on the odd occasion teachers do call in sick, they set work/follow up on emails, which most people doing other jobs don't seem to bother with.