1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aiming for HoD, any tips?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Pegasus32, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Pegasus32

Pegasus32 New commenter

Hello all,

I'd really appreciate any advice or tips on what I should be focusing on in order to develop and be in a position to apply for a HoD role. I've been teaching for 9 years, both in the UK and overseas (am currently overseas). My present HoD is probably looking to retire in the next year or so, and has suggested that the school would be interested in appointing me - however, I certainly don't want to take this for granted!

I've shared the role of HoD in a previous school, but there was little of the pressures that you face in the UK I think. I've never really been ambitious before (as you can probably tell - 9 years and no promotions!) but now I feel I really want and need to move forward with my career.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what areas I should focus on in the forthcoming year - I have managed a very small department before, and have experience with ordering/budgeting etc. Other than that, I have lots of classroom experience but not much else!

Thanks very much

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Are you wanting to become HoD in your current school or elsewhere?

3. Pegasus32

Pegasus32 New commenter

Ideally in my current school, however, there is no guarantee of when the position will be available, it really depends on whether the present HoD is ready to go or not! I feel like I need to move my career forward fairly soon, or will miss the boat.Ultimately I would like to return to the UK, I feel that I need management experience now in order to do so.

Many thanks for any advice