1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ai Wei Wei is begging for your Lego

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

He's apparently wanting to make a new artistic installation to display in Australia. But Lego won't sell him their product because they don't want it to be used for political purposes. So now he's begging people to deposit their Lego for him at collection points throughout the world. I think this is rather cheapskate and he should be paying for it, especially as there is a big shortage of Lego. Demand is outstripping supply this Christmas and here he is trying to get us to part with what we've got.

2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Had I any Lego, I would gladly donate. Wei Wei is an artist who deserves all the support we can give.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  3. Soapboxer

Soapboxer Occasional commenter

Are you sure this is not some kind of a joke?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Love Lego... use to have a huge crate of it. But my wife wasn't sympathetic to a children's toy lying around so... my brother bought it all off me. He has lots.

5. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

I doubt it will be as good as this.
    [​IMG]

anotherauntsally and lanokia like this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It was much better before they made it in sets where you have to follow instructions to make a specific thing like a pirate ship or some Disney fantasy. Takes the creativity out of it. I love it too except when I step on a bit with my bare feet.

lanokia likes this.
  7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Ahh but Lascarina those sets saved the company. I too like the idea that you use your imagination but how often do you hear about Meccano now. Lego would have disappeared if they hadn't made those sets. Apparently there are two types of Lego players/makers - one who simply makes the complicated set and follows the instructions a bit like making a model plane and the other who might make the set but then makes other things, develops and changes it with the pieces. That, I suspect, is the reason why Lego has been successful. You can make the set or use your imagination.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That's true, roux. I suppose it sorts the sheep from the goats.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh no @Lascarina

Got to create your own stuff... brother and me use to make cities or spaceships using all the stuff. Then the Americans would invade [was always the Americans, not sure why].

Following the plan, the guide... was BOOOOORING.

Lascarina likes this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm interested to hear what people think about Ai Wei Wei asking for people to give him their lego.

11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What use has a panda for Lego?

12. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Is he really asking now? Last I heard, people were offering him their lego and he was considering manufacturing his own lego-type bricks.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Must say that my reaction was the same.

Just buy your own blinkin' Lego, mate!

Did Leonardo get crowd-funding for the oils for La Gioconda? Did he heck as like.

ScotSEN and Lascarina like this.
  14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I hadn't heard this, auntsally. I know there is a collection point in the courtyard of the Royal Academy in London where people are depositing lego.[​IMG]

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Always do a double take when I hear that name

[​IMG]

16. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

The Americans??? I'll try not to take THAT personally.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I knew KNEW you'd not like that! :D

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The American invasion was the best bit... they brought Godzilla [the dog]

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's not as if there are a trillion films along the lines of:
    1 The US saves the earth from aliens
    2 The US has the biggest, baddest army
    3 The US has the biggest, baddest weapons

No, not at all. No child has ever been subjected to such images or ideas. No, sirree!

[​IMG]

Whereas WE have:
    [​IMG]

Voting starts now.

ScotSEN likes this.