1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AHT in a Catholic school

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by davie m smith, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Hi,

Looking for some advice here. An AHT opportunity has been advertised in a Catholic school that sounds great. There is plenty in my experience that can satisfy the 'essential' and most of the 'desired' criteria on the role description and the person spec.

Here comes the 'but'...
    I'm not Catholic, and have never worked in a faith school. Is this likely to rule me out? Obviously I would expect to uphold and contribute to the ethos of the school, but I remain unclear as to what this is likely to mean in practice.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid it probably will rule you out, but you can only know for definite (some Catholic schools these days will consider non Catholics for SLT posts to widen the field) if you ring and ask.

3. I am a non-caltholic AHT in a Catholic school. I know of few Catholic schools that would rule out non-Catholics for an AHT post but DHT is a big NO. Think how you could support the Catholic ethos.

4. It should not rule you out- I work in a faith school. Only the Head and DHT must be Catholic-up to that level you can be any faith however it is likely when two candidates are neck and neck in picking a person the Catholic may win out but give it a go! If you're not in you cant win!
    Good Luck

5. Go for it!! I know a deputy head in a Catholic school who is non-Catholic and she has been teaching there for about 12 years.

6. Many thanks for your comments, they have been most encouraging!

7. I'm in a similar position, can I ask where this school is?

8. I'm AHT in a catholic school and I'm not a catholic. The DHT isn't either! In fact, about a third of the staff are not catholic. In the interview I was just asked how I would support the ethos and how I would promote it. My answer wasn't great but I still got the job!