1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AHT advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by King38, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hi
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I am an Inclusion leader who is currently supporting the Head teacher, being involved heavily in contributing to whole school initiatives and involved in the tracking and assessing data etc.
    Our deputy has announced his retirement and the head wishes to restructure the SLT. He wishes to have a deputy and AHT. He has advertised the deputy post but would like my role (and me) to be that of AHT. Does he need to advertise this post (I'm already employed as Inclusion lead anyway!) or can he merely appoint me after consultation with governors?
    Thanks
    </td></tr></table>

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There is no legal obligation to advertise. Two howevers, however.
    However, it may be local policy of either the Governors or the Local Authority to advertise.
    However, it could cause a great deal of resentment among your colleagues if you are appointed without a job description, person description, and fair and transparent selection process where competition is open to all.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com