1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AH (Scottish) essays question

Discussion in 'Music' started by jonowen, Mar 17, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi, with the essay (Listening Comm.) in AH Music do the pupils write for a well-informed Music teacher, an amateur musician or a member of the public who knows very little about music? One of my pupils writes with lots of unexplained technical details (e.g.complex chords) and another says mainly what they like/don't like about their chosen music. The SQA examples are not that helpful to my pupils as they havn't had that much experience of essay writing. (I do have one pupil who is outstanding - it's the "average" pupils I'm concerned about. Being on my own means I have no-one to bounce ideas with, so this forum is ideal)
    Thanks in advance!
    joni x

2. jonowen

3. jonowen

Thanks nskundu (very interesting username!!)
    Sounds like I'm on the right lines. I have 5 senior pupils this year this year and after a 6 year gap I discovered that the criteria had changed somewhat. I have learned that 17/18 years old need to be told to get their work proof read (they hadn't considered this!) and need to explain what they know technically rather than just mention it. One of my girls mentioned unison double-stopping and I hadn't come across that before - so she further explained in her finished essay and her teacher learnt something new!