1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agreed References...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bakisalmon, Nov 6, 2018.

1. bakisalmon

bakisalmon New commenter

Hi All!

I've had to leave a school with an SA (I agreed not to sue them/they agreed to pay me a token amount) and agreed reference and am now looking at a new role elsewhere.

I am paranoid that they won't send the agreed reference as I have heard this happen. Does anyone know what would happen in that case?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I doubt it would happen, but if it did, contact your Union, ASAP, and ask them what steps you can take to recover any damages for what I would say (I'm not a lawyer, BTW) was 'breach of a contract'.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They'd be in breach of contract.

But you said it. That's paranoia talking. They have agreed a reference and they'll send a reference. They will!

Stormy861 likes this.
  4. BehaviourQueen

BehaviourQueen New commenter

Just wait. If the SA was finalised with union involvement the Iā€™m sure you have nothing to worry about

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are not sure, have a look at the SA. Assuming that it says they must send the agreed reference, preferably within a time limit of some kind, then they do have to. However, it seems most unlikely that they won't.

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Understandably, given what you have hinted at, you don't trust the original school. But the SA is legally binding on both parties. It will happen. Presumably, you have informed your new employer of the recent history? So they will be aware of it, just in case anything does crop up, (which it won't.)
    And well done on getting back to work and finding another role. Good luck.