1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

agreed reference....asked to write my own by union

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by spooner2189, Sep 10, 2015.

1. So the same old story I see so much off....threats of capability procedures! I have been given a reference and just need to agree to it, however there is no chance I'd get a job from that reference very generic! My union have told me to write my own and then send it to the head. My question is, where do I start? I've never written anything like this before.

Any advice greatly received, thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Try to think first of all of specific examples of good things that you've done. Then put them into categories - teaching, student outcomes, form tutor and pastoral work, extra-curricular, relationship with colleagues, relationship with parents, etc.

That will give you the overall structure, with specific examples to quote if necessary.

Don't forget to include a Child Protection and safeguarding bit at the end . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.