1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agility classes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by princessdiaries, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi, has anyone ever done these with their dogs? I'd like to try it with mine to try to do something about her excess energy levels, but she's a tiny breed - would she be OK?
    Also, does anyone have any idea about prices?
    Thanks!

2. Hi, has anyone ever done these with their dogs? I'd like to try it with mine to try to do something about her excess energy levels, but she's a tiny breed - would she be OK?
    Also, does anyone have any idea about prices?
    Thanks!

3. I could do with learning some agility. Do they take ladies of a certain age too?

4. Yeah, me too! I've always been rubbish at dancing and gymnastics and things as my body is so stiff!
    I'm not sure what they do with them, I just keep thinking if she has to jump up onto things she won't be able to as she's too small!

5. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

I take Ben The Most Spoiled Dog in the World to agility classes - he is a springer/collie cross so it goes a fair way towards wearing him out! We haven't been going long so we are in the numpty class, but he loves it, and we are slowly making progress although I think Crufts is some way off!
    We pay £20 for a 4 week block of classes, with 24 hours notice needed for a no show.
    There are smaller terriers there too - they adjust the jumps (although one Westie just chucks herself with gay abandon into them).

6. Small dogs can definitely do agility. The jumps are made smaller for them. I went to a fab display last summer where a Jack Russell was the fastest member of the team and wore a superman cape! He also jumped through a flaming hoop (though his cape was removed for that part!).

7. My husband takes my Lhasa Apso to agility and she is not much bigger than a large cat!
    Ours is run by the local dog training group (many of them do agility with their own dogs) so all the trainers are volunteers and it costs £3 a session to cover cost of venue hire. There was a minimum age for the dogs of 18 months (jumping not good for them whilst still growing) and the dogs had to reach a certain standard at obedience classes so that they can be kept under control when off lead.
    My husband really enjoys it-he used to take his dog until that dog developed congenital eye problems, which is why my little Lhasa now goes-and is actually much better and faster than OH's larger dog ever was.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My lurchers have done agility. They were rubbish!
    We went to a local not-for-profit club and paid £10 a year membership and then £2 a week to go which included lessons. It was great and there were dogs of all shapes and sizes.
    Despite my boys not being very good at it, it was definitely really good for their general obedience and it left them totally worn out, mentally as well as physically. We did it for 2 years.
    We did some fun public displays too. Others in the club were primed to stand across any breaks in the fence just in case my boys decided to run around like nutters instead of doing the course. The public loved 'em!

9. We used to take our Patterdale/Jack Russell cross. He is actually fab at it but gets bored waiting for his turn and there was one dog he took an intense dislike to so we had to muzzle him which wasn't much fun for him. The classes themsleves were fab though.

We paid about £3 week and a joining fee of about £10 a year I think. Two of the best dogs there were little podgy pugs!