1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aggressive year 2 child with developmental delays - please help!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by notanear, May 11, 2014.

1. I've recently taken over as a 1:1 Learning Support Assistant for a boy in year 2 with quite severe behavioural difficulties, and I'm struggling to find a strategy that works.

I should preface this by saying that his development and communication are way below his grade level. He's probably reading, writing and speaking at a Nursery - Reception level, struggles to count past 10 and understands very little of what goes on in class, work-wise.

His problem behaviours include not being able to sit and listen to teachers with the other students, shouting and making noises almost constantly, difficultly transitioning between activities, refusal to participate, running out of the classroom whenever he feels like it and being violent/verbally aggressive towards other children and staff when he doesn't get his way.

The main thing I'm struggling with is that none of my usual strategies for behaviourally-challenged students (ie, developing a clear and consistent chain of events if he misbehaves, maintaining high expectations, rewarding good behaviour, finding out his interests and trying to make work relevant to them, etc etc) seem to work with him. His behaviour and reactions vary hour to hour, the smallest thing can set off a huge tantrum and the smallest thing can bring him back from one, and it's different every time.

I also struggle with explaining things like rewards/consequences to him because his communication and concentration are so poor that he rarely understands/listens/takes in what I say. He interprets almost any attempt by and adult to talk to him as him getting into trouble (doubtless because this is what he is used to) and completely shuts down when I try to explain (even in the simplest language) what is expected of him.

The behaviour management plan in the school is a little wishy-washy - I have the option of sending him to the Head Teacher if he his violent or his behaviour becomes too disruptive, but she is often in meetings, away or too busy to deal with him. I also have the option of him missing his playtime, but this a) results in him hitting me, running away or screaming swear words at me and b) requires me to find another teacher who will be inside during playtime to watch him as my job also requires me to act as lunchtime/playtime supervisor and I can't stay inside with him. So it isn't always possible to find someone and requires me to rely on chance a lot, which I don't like doing as I don't want to say he's lost his play if I can't follow through.

This is the most extreme behaviour case I've ever worked with. I worry a lot that his refusal to participate in class activities, as well as the strategy I am usually advised to follow being to take him out of class if he becomes too disruptive, means he is just falling further and further behind and isn't learning anything. I also struggle to manage his aggressive and I hate coming to work knowing I'm probably going to be kicked, punched, bitten and screamed at. I know I shouldn't take it personally and most of the time I don't, but it's hard to get through to a child who is usually on the brink of that kind of anger.

Any advice at all would be very much appreciated. I'm determined not to give up but I'm also starting to feel quite stressed out!