1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aggressive parent at parents' evening

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chriszwinter1, Mar 2, 2012.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And very cowardly and very negliglent. Your head is paid to support you. Why is it that at post offices, railway stations, libaries, hospitals and just about anywhere but a school there is a notice telling people that the staff have the right to be treated with courtesy and that action will be taken against those who are verbally or phyiscally aggressive towards staff? Are school staff expected to put it with it because it goes with the territory?

2. Thanks all. I think I will ask fo the HT to come in to meetings with this parent in future.

3. I'm 5 months pregnant as well. In my new career I'm not even allowed near any disruptive children never mind have to deal with someone who's aggressive within earshot of somebody senior. I know when you're pregnant you can't avoid all situations if they're an intrinsic part of your job though.

It is up to you to say when you feel like a situation isn't safe, whether pregnant or not, so the advice you've got to request the head to be present seems reasonable.

4. Definitely don't see this parent by yourself in future. Have you made a written record of the meeting?
    Can't believe the head didn't come in to support you. As a HoD, I've intervened in such circumstances in the past and offered parent a meeting together with me at another time. Heard nothing more of course.