1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency Workers (supply teachers) Question for Heads Please

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Agency_Worker, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hello,
    In October this year the agency workers regulations (AWR) will require all agency staff to be paid at the same rate as though they had been employed directly. (after a qualifying period)
    I'm interested in hearing if you have any formal knowledge about this from your LA/DfE and also what your thoughts are around this legislation.
    example - a supply agency charging £130 - £150 per day will have to charge you as much as £220 - £240 per day to comply.

I look forward to your comments
    Thank you

2. Hello,
    In October this year the agency workers regulations (AWR) will require all agency staff to be paid at the same rate as though they had been employed directly. (after a qualifying period)
    I'm interested in hearing if you have any formal knowledge about this from your LA/DfE and also what your thoughts are around this legislation.
    example - a supply agency charging £130 - £150 per day will have to charge you as much as £220 - £240 per day to comply.

I look forward to your comments
    Thank you

3. As far as I am aware, this was about the cost of agency staff to schools which is why we decided to go direct so that the teacher gets the full amount. Maybe this is another expensive side of the county I work in.

4. No way.....It ranges from £170-£200 in the provinces.....

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

What saddens me is there are fellow heads who are willing to use supply agencies on the basis of cheapest is best.
    Having been on both sides of the coin I wouldn't consider for a second using a supply agency charging £130 as this means the teacher must be getting about £80. What kind of teacher would I be allowing in my school on that basis? Too many of my fellow heads seem happy to cut corners where they shouldn't.
    I came across many Heads who simply want baby sitters when I did a bit of supply (The lowest rate I ever accepted was £125, but normally £140-£150 was my standard rate though agencies). I even fell out with a couple of heads; one about 17 years ago and another about 5 years ago, because they weren't happy about comments I made to them about what I found in the class; I didn't break confidentiality but raised issues I thought they ought to know about which they took as an affront. 'What would a supply teacher know', seemed to be the response, with a clear belief that such teachers are the lowest form of life in a school. It was now surprise that when I checked the Ofsted report on the last school I had problems with the leadership was clearly an issue of concern in the school.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Of course, 'It was no surprise'
    In response to the OP question, if this puts a few agencies out of business, all the better. A shake up in the industry is long overdue. I'm surprised there aren't more teacher cooperatives running supply agencies; such a scheme would ensure teachers get paid a fair wage and 'good' schools get good staff.

7. Hear, hear to all that!

8. Thanks for your comments.
    I agree entirely that supply teachers should be paid a fair daily rate, even if that's not to scale but as long as people feel valued and rewarded at the very least. Going back 8-10 years we used to always pay to scale. The issue has been that some agencies have constantly offered to provide supply teachers at lower rates than somone else. In turn this has driven down pay to an unacceptable level.
    This has unfortunately become the benchmark and now business managers/secretaries negotiate on this level. "i will only pay £135 per day" is a common response from a school. For what it's worth, as an "agent" I'm sorry that this is the state of play, but in my role I work hard to get the very best for our teachers, and refuse to supply cover supervisors etc.
    Maybe the regulations will have the right impact, and the good agencies will actually stand out in the future. We can hope but there is a possibility that it will get worse before it gets better.. See in the telegraph this week, the next new answer to the education system is to fill it with tattooed ex soldiers with aggressive attitudes for the boys to look up to! Perfect!