1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency work prospects. advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kevalbion, Apr 4, 2012.

1. After failing to get a post (even an interview) I have started the sign up process with Reed Education (an agency) It was going well but now they require £44 for a CRB check.
    Is this usual industry practice? (I know schools normally pay this when they offer you a post)
    Its a lot of money to me especially if Reed do not provide any work, has any one on here any experience of Reed or any other comments would be welcome.
    Thank you in advance
    Kevin

2. After failing to get a post (even an interview) I have started the sign up process with Reed Education (an agency) It was going well but now they require £44 for a CRB check.
    Is this usual industry practice? (I know schools normally pay this when they offer you a post)
    Its a lot of money to me especially if Reed do not provide any work, has any one on here any experience of Reed or any other comments would be welcome.
    Thank you in advance
    Kevin

3. Thanks for your reply Wren interesting what you have to say. I am in the North West of England, I have a BTEC level 2 and a BA in Humanities as for experience just one year(two days a week) placement.

4. Your experience should be enough for you to succeed with supply work - but not sure about your qualification. Here (Notts) A BTEC level 2 would not actually qualify you as a TA - You'd need a level 3 or above. BUT it varies from LEA to LEA so you may still get work.
    You may be up against people with level 3 and/or level 4 qualifications though, which will make it harder for you to get any kind of work (as you've found).