1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency wants to know names of schools I am sent to by other agency

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Moorekl, Apr 16, 2012.

1. I have just signed up with a second agency due to not getting enough work with my first agency. My first agency have told me that I have to tell them which schools I am sent to by my new agency though because of agency worker regulations. Is this correct? My new agency have said that they don't want them to know which is understandable. I don't feel comfortable telling either agency which schools I am sent to as I feel that is their business. Does anyone know if I have to?

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hmmm.......not sure on this one, I know there's a case for saying which schools what agencies have sent you to so that schools don't end up employing you from different agencies. Apparently some schools don't like it.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Your business - don't think it's got anything to do with AWR. They are probably fishing for business and maybe trying to offer "you" cheaper to the same school.

4. I've had this before and I think it's a professional thing.
    Basically, from the agency's point of view - looks scatty if you go there via two different agencies. Divided loyalties. You might go to the same school through Hays and then be there through Monarch the next day. And there again through Connaught next week.
    That said; it is of course your own business. No one has a monopoly on you.
    Personally, I would tell them just to avoid the divided loyalties things and it might get fiddly if you go to the same place but are on different rates for different agencies. Not sure what impression it would give the school either even though it is probably semantics when all is said and done. But schools usually want the cheapest option nowadays too!

5. Why does it look scatty if you go in through different agencies?
    You don't have to tell them. They do this to try and uncut each other. It is nothing to do with AWR. I usually say I can't work that day as I have a day of employment outside teaching. If you do tell them and your old agency trys to undercut their way in you could end up going to the bottom of the pile with the new one.

6. In theory it shouldn't. BUT, with different agencies paying different rates, a school might sit up if you were getting £140 off one agency and then £100 off another. And £125 off another! If you were with 6 different agencies using the same school, they also might not know which agency you are with and who to book you with! And probably opt for the cheapest. Budgets rule.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Schools do not know what you get - they only know what they pay the agency.

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I've often gone to the same school (once in the same week) through different agencies, don't what the problem here is myself. It sounds to me like your first agency is trying to get some information on their competitors.
    Tell them if you like or just be a little vague if you don't want to tell them.

9. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

On my payslips now I have new clauses which basically states that ..........quote "If, before or during an Assignment or during the Relevant Period (as defined below), the Client wishes to engage you directly or through another employment business, you acknowledge that .....???........will be entitled either to charge the Client a transfer fee or to agree an extended period of hire with the Client at the end of which you may be engaged directly by the Client or through another employment business without further charge to the Client. In addition........???........ will be entitled to charge a transfer fee to the Client if the Client introduces you to a third party (other than another employment business) who subsequently engages you, directly or indirectly, before or during an Assignment or within the Relevant Period. ?Relevant Period? means (a) the period of 8 weeks commencing on the day after the last day on which you worked for the Client having been supplied by .......???..........; or (b) the period of 14 weeks commencing on the first day on which you worked for the Client having been supplied by ........???......... or 14 weeks from the first day of the most recent Assignment where there has been a break of more than 6 weeks (42 days) since any previous assignment".

In other words.............. they are creating contracts now that restricts where and with whom we work. Anyone had this thrashed out between Agencies and Schools........ regarding charges for working with a school via another Agency.....
    and how can they prove who introduced us to who?

10. Pennyforyourthoughts

I have also recently been approached by a couple of Agencies I have worked for in the past asking if I would like to return to work via them. When I asked which schools they have on their books they flatly refused to tell me UNLESS I registered with them.... I suspect then I would not be told until work was actually available. I replied unless they can tell me which schools they supply, supply to I was not prepared to sign up with them. Hence I have not signed up with either of them...

If an Agency cannot guarantee a contract with them that they can offer specific hours, days, weeks worth of work I do not understand why they are trying to have such a hold over how we manage our working arrangements.... To be restricted where we work is financial suicide if the Agency you are with gives you very little work. Anyone with experience of any of this...................

11. I have done exactly the same thing. I have had lots of phone calls from agencies claiming to have long-term cover with an immediate start, but refusing to say where. Unless they are prepared to discuss details, and confirm by email, I don't touch them with a bargepole. If they're evasive when they're trying to recruit what on earth are they going to be like when it comes to bookings and payment?

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

my second agency tried to get me to provide them with a day by day account of where i had been teaching. I told them that was why i paid agencies (effectively via the reduced pay) so if they wanted to know, they could ask my main agency. they also went on about the agency worker regs, which only apply if you are in a long term position, according to my main agency.

13. zappaphillius

zappaphillius New commenter

This is actually an infringement of your right to privacy and you have a right to refuse.
    Tell the call centre operative that. There is far too much dishonesty and wheeler dealing between agencies about supply teacher pay.
    We can sign up to any number of agencies out there. Many are touting for business and for too long we have been bullied and browbeaten into accepting low rates of pay and that is most unfair.
    Do NOT get intimidated. A supply teacher colleague has uploaded his CV to at least 12 agencies. As you know employment agencies link up witheach otherso what's so precious about one?????

14. Pennyforyourthoughts

Regarding AWR... if there was a change of Agency supplying a supply to a school, for example you are registered with 2 Agencies but end up going to the same school ....... Question...... does the AWR stay with the Agency (as our employer) and therefore each Agency has to operate the AWR separately...... even though its the same school..... OR should the school keep account of how long the supply had been in the school????? I suspect that it is for each employer. For the poster who had the Agency say it is to do with AWR >.... I suspect they are bluffing.

15. I am not sure AWR has been fully interpreted yet. Some agencies are saying 12 weeks with the same LA (this makes more sense on the AWR claim - although all the agency needs to know is what LA area you are operating in not school). Some agencies are stating they are tracking workers for the 'good of the school' to make sure they are legal. AWR definately doesn't operate with the agency though it is the 'employer' e.g. place you work. The significant factor is does this mean LA or school.... So in your scenario above with the agency switch the clock wouldn't reset.

16. It IS to do with AWR. If you had worked at a school within the last 6 weeks (not counting holidays) this work, although with a different agency would count towards the AWR qualifying period, and the agency, although unaware that you'd worked there would still be liable for for compensation and a £5000 fine should this be challenged at a later date. This wouldn't be the school's (hirer's) responsibility as the Agency is liable for equal pay.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Don't tell them!
    the agency want to know so that can AVOID sending you to those schools and AVOID paying you the proper teacher rate as you are more likely to meet the 12 week qualifier if several agencies are sending you to the same school.
    You could suggest that they communicate directly with X,Y and Z agencies and divulge to those agencies which schools they send you to. I think they'll change their mind about wanting to know if you give them that solution!

18. It is the LA not the school that is the employer for AWR http://www.edexec.co.uk/news/1551/agency-workers-regulations-%91to-increase-cost-of-good-supply-teachers'/ - so all you need to say is you have worked in the LA area not the name of the school. That is sufficient! http://www.thesupplydesk.co.uk/?pid=227&sid=643

19. Coffeekarma99,

The school is the hirer.

The link you've provided is from an article published March 2011. The Education specific AWR guidance notes issued in May and June 2011 clarified that the school is the hirer.

20. Pennyforyourthoughts

Why are there still conflicting information about AWR. My agency says that it is 12 weeks in a school, this can be spread so long as there is not a 6 week break when you would start your qualifiying period all over a gain. NOW some of you are saying it is with the same LEA .... if this is the case I along with several others working for this Agency would already be on AWR. ???????????? Anyone know the LEGAL correct answer to this. My agency also say that it is paid by the school NOT the Agency... if the school do not want to pay it then they will send in a different supply teacher?????
    I doubt that I will never get past the 12 weeks.