1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency Vs LA/school Payroll

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bed, Jun 29, 2016.

?

How many are with at least one agency?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2016.
  1. Work via agency only

80.0%
  2. Work via agency + own contacts (payroll)

20.0%
  3. Work via own contacts only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bed

bed New commenter

Hello.
    Not been doing supply long but highly ****** off with the rubbish pay.
    I'm paid equivalent to mainscale 4 when I should be on 6 (+UPS but that's not going to happen)
    And even then it's not guaranteed

If I opt to go independent and find my own schools can I get paid more and how do I ensure that I do ?
    And is it more cost effective for schools?

Thanks in anticipation of excellent replies

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I'll only get paid to M6 when I've done enough time to get AWR. Most of the time on supply the rate is MUCH, much lower. I know a few posters on here do work directly with schools but bear in mind that not all schools like to do down this route. I don't know of many LAs which still maintain a cover list - oh how I miss those. I guess you won't know until you try. Let us know how you get on.

install likes this.
  3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

The issue now is LEAs being starved of funds and LEA schools having to cut staff. The Govt won't allow non academies to have the same funding as academies which has ended the pool system.
    There is evidence from Australia and Northern Island that agencies are far more expensive than one central database but the political will to sort it out is not there. Neither of the main parties has any policy on supply/substitute/temporary teacher funding. Only the Greens have found time to consult with supply teachers and unions.
    The current policy is that schools are free to spend their bedget as they see fit. Some MAT s are setting up their own pools and offering on payroll contracts at competive rates in consultation with unions.
    In the mean time it's a free for all.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. pam771771

pam771771 New commenter

Sorry I can't help answer your question, but I do feel your pain.

I left a job where I was on the leadership scale but because I am only doing short term or day to day cover (mainly getting 1 or 2 weeks work at a time covering sickness) my pay is very low. After the umbrella company I'm paid through has taken it's cut and tax etc has been paid I'm down to about £90 a day take home.

If I was planning to continue with supply (I'm not as I have a permanent job I'm starting in September), I would definitely be looking at alternatives.