1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency to permanent pay?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emie2203, Jul 18, 2016.

1. emie2203

emie2203 New commenter

Hi all!

Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine!

So I've been on a long term placement through an agency at a school. They have decided they really like me so want me to be kept on (Hurray!) I'm staying with my agency until September (when the contract with the school starts) just in case something goes wrong.

The school is expecting me to come into school to work over summer but is saying I won't be paid because my contract doesn't start until September. I'm a little confused as to why they won't still be paying me via the agency during summer as I'll still be working?

Does that make sense? Should I be paid for the days I work over summer or not?

Thanks,

Emily

2. otters258

otters258 New commenter

Do you mean coming into work to set up your classroom ready for September? If this is the case then you are in the same position as an NQT whose contract does not start until September 1st as it is their first teaching post. If this is the case it is just a general professional expectation. Some people do a little, some do loads, in my experience. However most want to get their classroom environment personalised and in some way sorted.

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

What work are they expecting you to do over the summer?

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I did find the switch from weekly paid Agency (getting paid on about the 10th Sep) to having to wait to the end of the Month a really tough time financially. If you are going into set up your room keep it simple and hope that you have two inset days to start with to get it all finished. I worked at least part time each summer on supply so did have a little money going in to the bank account. maybe you will have to do that.

5. louise21

louise21 New commenter

I'm in the same position, and I've taken out a small load via a money transfer credit card to tide me over the summer. We'll just have to suck it up I'm afraid! I want to start well organised and prepared for the Ofsted terriors in September so I'll be going in when I can.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and when your school is open, do check before you travel and find the gates locked!