1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency supply versus Direct LEA supply

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by blackhen, Jun 16, 2012.

1. 6.45am phone rings, teacher off sick. I phone the agency at 6.50am and get it sorted with a single phone call. Some of the agency staff have been so good I've offered them permanent contracts. Don't think there's any scope for negotiating a teacher's pay. If you don't come via an agency you have to be on the LA payroll system.

2. My LA operates it's own supply agency, run by a third party company. They pay to scale which is much better for the teachers concerned. Further, they charge a small fee to the school as well, but the whole cost tends to be cheaper to the school.

3. Perhaps if the OP had had experience of booking supply, he/she would understand why many schools prefer to use an agency. As per blackhen, one phone call & it's done. It's nothing to do with whether or not I'm supporting "fellow professional colleagues" - I simply don't have the time to work my way through a list of people who may or may not be available. As far as I'm aware, there's no scope for negotiating pay when using direct supply - you pay at whatever point of the pay scale they're on.

4. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

Ditto the above feedback comments.

5. I use a small list of providers for those in advance and the agency for the early morning call. Prefer those I know and trust but need someone quick sometimes!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We used to have a bank of local supply teachers we would deal with directly. However our Local Authority will now no longer pay "supply" teachers unless they are either paid through an agency or have a flexible hours contract with a specific school. We cannot take the risk of putting numerous supply teachers on contract so we now go through an agency.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Yes, exactly that! They have to be given a zero hours contract and then in effect become a member of staff!

8. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

............................................................................ What does that matter if we are needed then yes list us somewhere as a member of staff.............logic................................. HOWEVER... ON THE FLIP SIDE............ what are Agency Staff called................. casual staff..........................in the big picture of budgets etc....... we must appear somewhere on their balance sheets................ and from where I am sitting.... it looks like the figures don't add up if they are paying outrageous fees to Agencies when THEY COULD BE GETTING CHEAPER SUPPLY by going direct. MADNESS...................