1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency secrecy

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by HS65, Nov 21, 2018.

1. HS65

HS65 Occasional commenter

On another post I mentioned my 'negotiations' with an agency ..... during which they started quoting and conditions as they suspected I'd been talking to a school about pay rates, of course .... I assured them I hadn't. It got me thinking though about the total lack of transparency and how unhealthy that is for all concerned, aside from the agencies.

It also got me wondering ..... what could they really do if we all did talk to schools so everything is more out in the open?

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In practice, nothing much other than not give you work. This sounds rather paranoid on the part of this agency.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  3. HS65

That’s what I was thinking ..... obviously I need to work but there are plenty of agencies.

I find it odd though, the secrecy.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. danielis13

danielis13 New commenter

Two years ago when I was doing long term supply at a school I was getting £140 per day. When I joined the same school the next year full time I found out that the agency had been charging £210 per day + VAT, no wonder they do not want you to know the markup they are making on you!

5. HS65

Its a fair old chunk they are taking in that scenario. I posted about agency overheads the other day and i'm sure there are legitimate costs and a necessary amount of profit .... that seems your example seems a bit extreme though.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. aby23

aby23 New commenter

I think it’s disgusting them taking a large chunk it’s not fair teachers need higher pay

agathamorse likes this.
  7. 1Spartacus

1Spartacus New commenter

I agree they take an unfair share and offer you little or no support should you have an issue within the school

agathamorse likes this.
  8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

That's business folks!
    upload_2018-11-22_21-39-35.jpeg

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.