1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Agency recommendations

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by catherine5494, Mar 12, 2018.

  1. catherine5494

    catherine5494 New commenter

    Hi all,
    I'm a primary ed graduate doing a masters and am looking to start supply teaching.
    I would really appreciate agency recommendations for Manchester as I'm really clueless!
    I'm aware I've got to send off for a new CRB but is that a one-time thing or do I need to pay to each agency?
    Also, how many should I sign up to?
    Thank you in advance!!
    pepper5 likes this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

    JohnJCazorla Star commenter

    A portable DBS is required but that will do you for all agencies (and schools if you can swing direct). It's good for a year and then needs renewing (but that's a cheaper cost). Just ask agencies what they charge to sort it. Most will do it at cost.

    Sign up with as many as you can, I'm with 6 I think and at the moment 5 of them are useless. Guess what? the useful one is the one that got my current gig (but did nothing from Jan-Oct 2018). It takes time to go round them with passport/degree and all the other junk but worth it in the long run.

    Welcome to supply and I look forward to your next thread on
    "How can I get paid a decent rate for supply?"

    (Plenty of threads about that already)
  3. pepper5

    pepper5 Star commenter


    Once younger a DSB youncsn sign up to the updste service and for a yearly fee of £13.00 you will be on the online register. Keep your paper copy since you may need it at some point. Once you get your DSB through an agency they will tell you how to register on the DBS update service.

Share This Page