1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency recommendations / reviews - need a job for Sept so need an agency's help!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MissToDo, Jul 8, 2015.

1. MissToDo

MissToDo New commenter

Hi everyone, I am leaving my current school next week and need something for September that isn't day to day supply. I've phoned some agencies today but have been advised that I should only register with 2 Max because I have to get my CRB/DBS check through one and the other can't start looking for me until it comes through which can take 4-6 weeks (which seems ridiculous as a school will normally offer you a job before doing the crb so surely it doesn't have to be done before?!)

So I'm wondering if anyone has opinions they can share on the following agencies (I'm based in Birmingham/South Staffordshire/North Warwickshire):

Smile Education

Celsian Education

Edustaff

Justteachers

Aspire People

Thanks in advance! I'm in major panic mode now!

2. PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire New commenter

I'm with Celsian (as well as a couple of others) but have found them to be very helpful and I've had plenty of work from them. I'm Science and last time I was on supply nearly 3 years ago I had 2 schools who wanted me at the same time. I'm going back to them as of September, just had interview at a school today.

Another agency I was with in 2012 didn't find me any work for 3 months and didn't even contact me about cover supervisor work because they didn't think I'd be interested, so that's when I joined Celsian instead.

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Many supply teachers are voicing real concerns about agencies.

Read some of the posts in this forum so that you know what questions to ask at an interview.

Most agencies just want to know if you are qualified and have DBS so the interview will not be at all difficult.

Do not agree to any contract until you know what you are signing.

You need to ask them questions about payroll and pay rates.

Be very clear about how much daily pay rate you want. Don't accept their first offer.

You need to read up on umbrella payroll companies so that you can make an informed decision.

Most people in this forum would advise against.

Be clear about how far you are prepared to travel. They promise travel expenses but this is in the form of tax deductions via umbrella companies. Just ask for a better daily rate.

You need to know that no agency is under any obligation whatsoever to find you work. There are dozens of them and they are all chasing the same placements so you need to be extremely pushy and get your booker to place you.