1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency rates of pay?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lou5357, Sep 25, 2015.

1. lou5357

lou5357 New commenter

Hi all,

A beloved ex- colleague of mine has recently left our school and entered the world of supply teaching, He was HOD (Maths) at my place of work for many years, and the top end of UPS. Recently, he has called and asked me what rate of pay he should be on. I know agency rates differ, and the 12 weeks' rule applies in relevant cases - not his as yet - but he told me he was on £130,00 a day (gross). I said I'd check this out for him, albeit, it was quite a while back when I was on supply.
    I just thought I'd ask what is typical these days, especially for a teacher of his experience. £130.00 a day (even before the 12 week rule) seems ludicrous - I was paid this sort of daily rate 12 years ago on MPS 1...have things drastically changed since then? What is typical these days, and does level of experience not count any more? Are there any agencies out there that offer a better rate of pay than £130.00 a day?
    Thanks in advance.

Lou.

2. Beltane_51

Beltane_51 New commenter

Agencies up here in my part of West Yorkshire pay upto MP6. I did work directly with schools that paid me UPS3 through the Authority as well.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Your friend may get more money if he works directly with the school and not through an agency and a lot of schools may be interested in his services, since in some areas maths teachers are short on the ground. If he does general cover as well £130 per day isn't too bad. Wages in many sectors haven't risen and the country is still in a recession in some ways and if he is working at all then in some ways he is in a better position than a lot of other people. He could also of course do private tutoring and that can pay welll.

4. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

It is supply and demand, and there is no pay portability - you just negotiate what you can.
    If he is in demand and gets asked back he can negotiate a higher rate.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've been out of supply for a while and don't know current rules- only what I read here on this forum what others post.
    Seeing as how most LAs/ Academies now seem to use agencies £130 a day seems to be quite good to what some people were being asked to work for last year- some as low as £60 a day! Experience counts for little until the 6 week rule kicks in - IF that is still the case.

6. lou5357

lou5357 New commenter

Many thanks for everyone's replies. Dang - not the news I was hoping for, nor is it particularly good for any folk on short term supply!

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Don't forget your friend can contact schools directly and he may be in demand and get a higher rate. Also private tuition in maths can be a good way to top up earnings.