1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency offering vouchers instead of a day's pay

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by baxterbasics, Nov 6, 2018.

1. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

The situation is this.

I was booked for a trial day at a school last week. I was sceptical as I knew that some schools (sadly) expect some sort of "free trial" day.

So I made it clear to the agency that I needed to be paid. The agency rang up the school (allegedly) and I was told that the school was happy to pay me for a full day's work at a teachers' rate.

I had a call today from the agency. Apparently, there was some sort of mis-communication and the school thought that they were getting me for free for a day.

"I am sorry about the mix-up. Our branch manager asked if you would like some vouchers instead"
    "how much for?"
    "£50's worth of vouchers of your choice".

I said "no", it was not acceptable at all and I await a reply.

Does anybody know what rights I have.

A form of "verbal contract" was obviously made when the booking was made on the phone.

Absolutely disgusted.

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Sorry if you do a days work you get paid. If the agency made an error then they should pay your rate not vouchers.

Shedman, Jamvic, Catgirl1964 and 12 others like this.
  3. baxterbasics

Do you think that i should stick to my guns and ask for the full £120 or compromise and say £80, or something?

pepper5 likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Union - and leave agency :cool:

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Definitely not acceptable and you're correct to say no.

Rights.....errr..... ?
    Are you in a union, this sort of legal level is what union fees are for, to turn your clear moral case into a valid legal case?
    It is definitely a breach of the contract that you honoured when you turned up and worked there.

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Definitely go for the full rate, it's what you are due and if you settle for less then you're half-agreeing to get stung again.
    Did the agent agree a price for the day before putting the phone down? I can't see how that didn't happen so you definitely need to keep them to their word.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Nothing you can do about it.

If they offer you what you want, then great. If they don’t, you can choose not to go and they’ll just get some other poor, desperate sap to do it instead.

8. baxterbasics

The full rate is what I signed the contract for when I signed up for the agency

I made it very clear that I would only do a trial for the day if I was properly paid. It was agreed last week that the school were happy to pay me.

I made the point (when she rang me this evening) about "try getting a plumber to work for free for a day".

I have emailed the manager of the agency and demanded that I should be paid in full - their mistake, so they take the hit, not me.

9. baxterbasics

Isn't there something illegal about what they did?

I want to make it clear I DID THE DAY'S WORK LAST WEEK.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If the school like you, consider negotiating a direct arrangement with them and cut the agency out. The school can offer the agency £20 in vouchers as compensation for lost fees. :)

11. baxterbasics

To be honest - I don't want to muddy the waters.

The simple fact is that I did a day's work last week and need to be paid for it in full.

12. pocketlocket

pocketlocket New commenter

I'd be threatening them with the small claims court!
    Simple facts, you agreed the rate, did the work and expect the payment! If there is any confusion then the agency has to pay. Don't accept gift vouchers or part payment. Contact your union and also reiterate with the agency that your contract is with those so you'll sue them.
    How dare they!

13. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

FREE DAYS! ..................... never ever do a free day, that's taking the P

As for vouchers, ........well tell them to stick it where a monkey shoves his nuts.

I would also tell the agency to stick it as well

tall tales, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  14. baxterbasics

I wonder if vouchers are some sly way of avoiding National insurance or something?

15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Don't accept the vouchers and if the agency won't pay you threaten to file a claim in the small claims court. They won't give you any further work, but I can pretty much guarantee that they will pay you.

16. pwtin

pwtin Occasional commenter

The world has gone crazy, why would anyone agree to a trial day and a free one at that? Ask the agency if they would work for nothing? I am sure I read an email today where the agency were offering £300 shopping vouchers if you recommended a friend.

17. baxterbasics

Maybe the world has gone mad.

However, a more plausible explanation is that the status and dignity of the teaching profession has reached rock-bottom, and well qualified adults almost expect to treated like dirt.

However, I will not stand for it.

towncryer, Jamvic, tonymars and 4 others like this.
  18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Don't sell yourself short. go for the "or something". Green Shield stamps perhaps, or what about a bunch of flowers or a bottle of wine? Packet of fags?

tall tales and agathamorse like this.
  19. baxterbasics

Ha ha

I emailed the manager and said "I want every penny" and "it is not my problem, but between you and the school".

He replied saying that he knows where I am coming from, and he will ring me tomorrow evening to sort something out.

agathamorse, Piranha and bonxie like this.
  20. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@baxterbasics I am really :mad: as you know me and @Jolly_Roger15 have been offered several opportunities to work for praise and not pay and we have declined. You made it crystal clear, like we did that we NEED money and they have done something despicable.

You deserve better. You have to move away from this agency and find decent people to work for. I know it sounds silly but if they could give you the £120 in vouchers, it could work out. Do they have Amazon and Love to Shop vouchers which are my favourite? You know they get £50 vouchers for less than that, don't you, so try and wrangle £120 in vouchers for use in the Amazon Black Friday and January sales. You could also sell the vouchers on Ebay as well as many will pay £90 to £110 for £120 vouchers. Just a thought.

Hope they pay you real money, but if you are to compromise and take vouchers, take vouchers for the full £120 or get the union involved. Once resolved, find a new and better agency.