1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Agency/ Indepedent supply - need advice!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by shalteir, Sep 5, 2011.

  1. The pay should be decided by national guidelines, unless this school is an academy. LEAs will either be "hourly rate", pay 1/195 annual pay scale per day, equalling 6.48 hours, or they may pay "hourly rate" and give you 1/1265 annual pay per hour, one day often only being class contact, equally 5.25 hours.

    Your real problem is agency "finders fee". If you are with the agency, the agency will claim rights to a finder's fee.
  2. Payroll is they will deduct tax and national insurance (and TP if you opt in.) If you still work with the agency and the agency deducts tax according to your tax allowance, then your additional employer will most likely be best set at basic rate (BR), 20% no allowances.
  3. VelvetChalk

    VelvetChalk New commenter

    Im really sorry but is this what you mean?
    Do you mean if say my annual pay was 21,000 (rounding as Im an NQT)
    21,000/195 for a day
    21,000/1265 for an hour x 5.25
    Once Im be paid this how will it be taxed if the schools pay into your personalaccount or is it sometimes cash in hand?

    Dont want to get into trouble with the tax peeps.

  4. You will not get into trouble with the tax people! LEAs are PAYE. They set up an account with your National Insurance number. You are not self-employed when working directly for a school, you are added to the LEA payroll. You can be employed by several employers in the samr year simultaneously-several agencies and or several LEAs.

    You do not set your rate of pay, the school does. You have a position on the main pay scale. Maybe you start on M1, or higher for credited service/qualifications. Here is a published payscale from TES, July 2011, for this academic year:

    Scale point Annual salary England and Wales excluding London
    (band D) Annual salary inner London area
    (band A) Annual salary outer London area
    (band B) Annual salary Fringe area
    (band C)
    £ £ £ £
    1 21,588 27,000 25,117 22,626
    2 23,295 28,408 26,674 24,331
    3 25,168 29,889 28,325 26,203
    4 27,104 31,446 30,080 28,146
    5 29,240 33,865 32,630 30,278
    6 31,552 36,387 35,116 32,588
    Source: School Teachers? Review Body

    So at M1, annual pay, £21,588 outside London: Day rate divide by 195=£110.70 per day. Hourly rate= divide by 1265=£17.06 per hour, school will determine how many hours their school day for pay is, if they choose 5.25 hours, then the day pay is £89.59. You need 6.48 hours to equal day rate pay, best to live in a day rate authority.

    At M6, day rate pay is £161.80 per day.
  5. Well, copying and pasting that payroll table didn't work! You'll find the pay figures on this link:

  6. darkness

    darkness New commenter

    Only if the school issue a contract, in which case it becomes more expensive for the school since new rules mean they must pay holiday pay and sick pay. usually when they ask for you to be independent it is self employed or through a LTD company. Sometimes they will add you to the LEAs PAYE system and the LEA will sort out all the Tax and NI etc, however, again, this can imply you are employed and therefore subject to more working rights.

    If you go down self employed, you will need to register as such, keep financial records, give invoices to the school where they then pay you. And then submit your self assessment each year, deducting costs, and paying your own tax. You will also need to register for paying your own NI contributions.
  7. Darkness, I doubt if the new EU regulations will add any expense to LEA paid staff, it could even make it cheaper. LEA pay has always included the holiday element. If the LEA employs you day to day, either for days or a term, the 1/195 "day rate" includes the holiday pay, pro rata for the year. If you are employed for a contract, you are employed for a temporary contract just as has always been. With a contract, to get equal pay to permanent staff, the contract needs to include the holiday element, eg not finish on July 20 if that is the end of term

    Agencies will cost more, because they have to charge the school the same as the supply would be paid through the school, plus the agency charge per day. At present, because supply get maybe £50 a day less and no Teachers' Pensions through agencies, the agency cost to a school is either similar or a little less than directly employing a supply.

    I don't know of teachers working as self employed any more. You can't get a CRB as your own employer. Self employed NI contributions do not bring the same benefits as employed contributions. The Teachers Pensions beat anything you could do alone, with schools contributing 14%. Your only advantage is to undercut the salary scale you would have got by being paid to scale.
  8. These new rulings are about agency staff, not about directly employed staff.
  9. Further clarification: schools all over the country are working with supply through direct contact. A few years ago I read the figure was 55% work this way. This is not self employed work, the supply is either paid "day rate" or "hourly rate", depending on the LEA, and the record for the days/hours worked each month get sent in by the school to the LEA payroll, which pays directly to your account a month in arrears.

Share This Page