1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency Finder's Fee.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by schoolsout4summer, Jun 24, 2020.

1. KTST

KTST New commenter

Hi @schoolsout4summer

Legally the agency have to give the school the option of a finders fee or extended period of hire.

https://worksmart.org.uk/work-right...xt=This period is 14 weeks,a temp to perm fee.

"This period is 14 weeks from the start of the assignment or eight weeks from the end of the assignment, whichever ends later. After this period, the employer is free to hire the individual directly without paying a temp to perm fee."

If you haven't worked in the school since March there should be no conditions for the release fee as this will be over the 8 week period. Alternatively, if you've been in the assingment for over 14 weeks, again the school should not ask for a finders fee on top of the margin they have already earnt.

There should be something in the agencys Terms of Business that gives the school the option. I would ask the BM to re read the contract and question the consultant.

Good luck!

peakster, ATfan, MsOnline and 3 others like this.
  2. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I am surprised that schools don't offer the agency a deal, no fee and you are first choice for work over the next 12 months, how many agencies would jump at the chance of being the first port of call from a school? Having said that most are money grabbing Bug*ers.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What I don't understand in this scenario is-
    -why the school are surprised
    -why posters don't know that the finder's fee is described in huge detail in the agency contract to the school
    -why the school chose to be so open about this with OP

What I do understand is that a finder's fee is not "wrong" because it is so clearly detailed in the initial contract.

it is not in an agency's interest to "budge" from the fee for several reasons. The money is only the most obvious reason. But on top of this, if you have a teacher who is offered a contract, then they are somebody of calibre. And it is worth more to an agency as a business investment to keep that person on their books for a smaller yet longer term gain both in money, but also in terms of keeping their credentials as having decent staff. Any person who is contracted away from an agency is a finder's fee bonus, but also a loss of acumen. So maybe on occasion the fee is purposefully augmented into something prohibitive, who knows.

I guess this is a useful thought when it comes to negotiating payment on new contracts. If that helps, OP.

agathamorse and MsOnline like this.
  4. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

This seems sound, useful information but I'd say the school should already know this. If they have a HR dept, LA support or have had agency staff before they must know.

The OP's school aside, in general try not to underestimate the communication and links between heads and agencies. There's a lot of politics, mutual back-scratching and communication that teachers aren't privvy too.

I don't mean to seem cynical but...you're your own priority in the supply teacher triangle. If there are HR rules or legislation that would save either party money, chances are the school or the agency with be p-ed off if you point them out.

It really isn't the teacher's job to point these things out as it could leave them vulnerable. Just do the teaching, that's your job.

5. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

Except they may loose the school to another agency and the teacher if the deal falls through. Schools can't afford that. Most would do the 14 week thing and even then the teacher probably won't work for theme again and the school,will find another agency.

It is certainly made me realise that certain actions I made were all above board when I worried. As in I was there for 14 weeks already.

6. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

That’s what happened to me at my current Indy. I was originally hired through an agency in November 2013. In 2014, they offered me a permanent contract (no interview needed). They told me that I would have stop working for them by 13th June so that my new contract could start on 1st August. All perfectly legit and no hard feelings from anyone (in fact, my consultant congratulated me for being offered a perm job) because there was a 13 week gap and they needed at least 12 weeks so that they didn’t have to pay a finder’s fee. By the way, I know that this is correct because I wasn’t the only supply teacher who was kept on at the time. They stopped doing it after that in favour of employing people directly from the beginning.

I’m surprised that more colleges and schools don’t know about this rule and it’s absolutely true that finder fees are nothing to do with us and we shouldn’t be asked to contribute to them.

7. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

Let's see whether Covid19 would make them change tactic and use different methods!

8. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Brixtonboy, if we are all honest, the would be more chance of finding hens teeth, then the agencies changing their ways.

Jolly_Roger15 and Brixtonboy like this.
  9. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

EIGHT GRAND?! Talk about making money off the teacher.

10. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

Sadly, I agree.