1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency fees

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by andorian, May 21, 2020.

1. andorian

andorian New commenter

Hi. Does anyone know if the school has to pay the supply agency a fee if they take on the supply teacher? Or how long do you have to be on supply in a school before you can deal with the school directly? I can't seem to get a clear answer to this...

gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  2. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Agencies can charge finder fees.

gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

There may be something in your contract about it.

gold19951 likes this.
  4. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

I’ve been very fortunate in the past to have got two full time, permanent positions from doing supply at the school. Both heads had to pay a substantial finder’s fee to the agency. Nearly as much as a yearly salary I think.
    If you’ve been introduced to a school by an agency, then I believe you’re unable to bypass the agency with the same school in the future, unless the school is prepared to cut off all relations with that agency. Even then I think there are legal ramifications.

5. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

Yes there is a finders fee - I believe it’s a few thousand but that’s for the head & agency to deal with. I know of a school where it was waived as part of a deal for future supply provisions at a reduced rate - told to be by an agent so could be untrue

In theory you shouldn’t deal with the school directly if you have been placed there by an agency, ever, it might just pi55 off the agency, school, or both but technically there is nothing but Your conscious or possibly contract (check that) from stopping you

pepper5 likes this.
  6. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

What about if they advertise a job and you interview for it in the future?

7. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

I did a lot of day to day supply at one school and they advertised a job and I applied and got it (I was still doing supply teaching at the time but hadn’t been to this school for a little while) as far as I’m aware there was no finders fee, unless the applicant/supply teacher never gets told about it.
    I think it actually helped me get the job tbh

andorian and pepper5 like this.
  8. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

By a little while I mean like a few months

9. sharon7482

I think I remember people saying that if a job is publically advertised and you apply and get interviewed then get it that is all above board so to speak. Its just if you are placed there and they want to keep you.

10. claudette_A

claudette_A New commenter

It's a terms and conditions thing so it may vary from agency to agency, but they usually say something like after 8 weeks have lapsed since you were last there is fair play to apply direct without legal repercussions. Check your contracts T and Cs.

You should join the supply Facebook groups:

Type in and search in Facebook
    NEU Supply Teachers Network
    Supply Teacher Network

...and all your answers will be revealed. The regional officer at the NEU group has been recommending everyone to apply direct to schools they like from agencies they’ve been at, basically they mentioned 8 weeks have gone since lock-down started so fair game.

HS65, andorian and pepper5 like this.
  11. claudette_A

claudette_A New commenter

...I agree and disagree - I’d say it depends on your circumstances. If you still want to work for the agency then probably not such a good idea as it might burn a few bridges.

But then again, hell yeah go for it if you’re done with that agency or joining a new one. They introduced you to that school but they don’t own exclusive rights to employment there. You mentioned something about “moral conscience”, yeah I don’t think that is much of a problem when you think about it, every single time you’ve worked there the consultant has taken a cut in your pay(that should be more than enough to compensate) and is one of the factors why supply rates are generally low.

andorian likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I had an former colleague who was offered a temporary contract at a school, on condition he paid the agency finder's fee! Since this amounted to three months salary, he declined this 'generous offer'.

13. sharon7482

I have so many questions about this.

I am ready interested in this ow because ai have known loads of people turn up at a school doing supply, the school like them and then ask them to apply for an available job. Seems no hassle whatsoever. But what do I know.

andorian likes this.
  14. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I think at my agency there is a 6 month rule between working for a school and applying outside of the agency for a permanent role. (For the school not to be charged a Finder's Fee. As long as they a Finder's Fee a school can take you on at any time.)

I did get one school ask me to apply for permanent without telling the agency. They had own terms and conditions of employment. Not very generous. I reported them to the agency.

Seriously, if a school won't stick to a contract with a big agency, why would they keep any written promises to a permanent member of staff?

andorian likes this.
  15. andorian

andorian New commenter

Thank you for your answers. I have no conscience when dealing with agencies; they are all nice people, doing their best, but they will do their best for themselves - it's all about the money, of course! I would never in a million years report a school to an agency. Agencies get a very good deal for what they do. Anyway, if anyone is curious, the school has advertised the post, so I am entitled to apply for it. Let's hope I get it! ;-)

HS65, claudette_A and sharon7482 like this.
  16. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

Why do you need to tell the agency in the first place if you applied for a job outside of an agency?? I’ve applied for jobs before and only told an agency if I’ve got a job and won’t be able to do supply anymore. But never applied for jobs advertised on agency website because they never tell you the school

17. sharon7482

Aot of agencies themselves may never come back at the moment and I hope its okay okay because I have done that in the past and it's been fine. Just said I wouldn't be available on whatever days.