1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency fees

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Jess1430, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Jess1430

Jess1430 New commenter

12 months of trying and finally have been offered a position

Problem is the agency fees

A friend said you can be sued for breach of contract if you don’t inform them.

If I don’t work from now until hire the extended period with be 2 weeks.

I’m really stuck. I really want the job and want to g eat my NQT done but feel the offer might be withdrawn if I inform my agency.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It must depend on your contract with the agency. If it does specify a fee, then yes, they might well be able to sue you if you don't inform them. You really need expert advice, not the random thoughts of people on an Internet forum, so I would suggest consulting your union.

HolyMahogany and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Yes do check your contract carefully and get specific advice. Do not let the agency take money for doing nothing. My wife was with an agency, she got a job through an advertisement in the TES, the agency had nothing to do with the process. They tried to claim a fee from the school and got nothing.
    Beware they may try it on.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't understand.
    It is not your remit to inform them.
    It is the school's.
    Your commitment extends only to telling your agency that you will no longer be employed by them.

I'm guessing I may have misread the situation though, as the other replies are so different...?

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My thought was that it is the teacher who has a contract with the agency, and is, therefore, responsible for obeying it. If the contract specifies that the agency be paid a fee if the teacher gets a job within a specified length of time, then surely it would be up to the teacher to tell the new employer about this. However, I do wonder if this would be a legal clause where the agency was not involved in finding the new job.

I would suggest taking @HolyMahogany's advice.

6. pocketlocket

pocketlocket New commenter

I left an agency at the end of a summer term and started on a contract with the same school for the autumn term. It never occurred to me to inform the agency. If they had contacted me to complain I would have forwarded them on to the school or LA.
    I'm sure that the agency contract is with the school (to deter poaching) but they never contacted me.