1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agency applications

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by 0201981, Sep 7, 2020.

1. 0201981

0201981 New commenter

I am hoping to return to teaching after a 2 year break and I am starting to get my paperwork in order. When applying to an agency do teachers usually include a covering letter and C.V. or just a C.V. with a short personal statement at the top?

2. Ferreros

Ferreros New commenter

From my experience, I've only ever sent over a copy of my CV with a short personal statement. Usually, I'd email or phone the agency to enquire about a position and give them my email address. The agency will often send their own application forms for you to fill out asking about your qualifications, employment history, key skills and strengths, etc. Once the application forms and CV are sent back they'll conduct some kind of interview - and they vary wildly depending on what agency you sign up to. I've had some as informal chats asking what I'm looking for, others were more formal interview-style questions, and even one where I was sat in a room by myself, given a list of questions on a piece of paper to answer and then hand back into them. I'm assuming that most of this will take place via video call at the moment.

Good luck!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

They will also ask for references for safeguarding purposes. So ensure you have referees and that you've asked them if they'd be happy to give you a reference.

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

You will also need a dbs which can take a while. Make sure you put it on the online update system for a few pounds a year, otherwise you will have to buy one for each agency every year! If you have an online dbs it is live and current and anyone can use it for safeguarding.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  5. 0201981

0201981 New commenter

Thanks for your advice everyone.

That’s what I thought Ferreros. I was just having trouble keeping it short. I started with brief paragraph stating my level of experience, the areas in which I am most experienced and what experiences I am looking for. And another paragraph that highlights my strengths and motivations. Does that sound normal?

I have contacted my last 2 head teachers and they will give me references. I was worried they wouldn’t remember me or be too busy. I worked for them both in the last 5 years. So I think that will be ok?

I did an enhanced dbs a few months ago, for a volunteer role, and stupidly didn’t sign up for the update system. I suppose it’s too late to change that now?

6. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Sadly you have to sign up for the update service within 14 days of receiving your DBS.

7. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

YOu will also need numerous sets of paperwork (qualifications) of which in my experience they wouldn't accept a scan or copy so physically had to take them into the office.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Agree with all the above and suggest you sign up with as many as you can. It takes about a half-day to get the paperwork done per agency.
    Then go home and stare at the phone, one will come through but it takes time. Then you can start fretting over how to get better paid!

DISCLAIMER: I've hopefully bailed out since January but this approach worked very well for me in previous years.

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.