1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agencies

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MasterMaker, Jul 8, 2015.

1. There's a plethora of agencies nowadays, and many spam advertisers are offering their services to every school that puts an ad in TES. I checked one today and was astonished at the fees they were charging: 15% of annual salary for a standard teacher, more for leadership. That equates to around £4500 per teacher at my school (someone is now doing the maths to see what salaries my school offers).

If you're after just two teachers, it is far cheaper to place a premium TES ad along with the same for eTeach, set up a posh hotel conference room in London (as in the old days), provide a travel allowance for each candidate and still get change after two business class tickets for the head and deputy to fly to London.

Which schools pay these fees? Especially as the quality of agency teachers tends to be far lower than the DIY methods.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Some schools have such a bad reputation that they can not advertise even on the TES! But it is expensive and time consuming for a school to recruit staff, just the cost of an advert in the TES can be 2.5k uk pounds, the cost of flying out to London-Dubai for a week, 5 star hotel for a week and the heads bar bill all need to be paid for. So bad schools need a constant supply of fresh meat for their grinder, but the cost is factored in to the school budget.

Agencies don't care about the humans they send into a hell hole as they get paid regardless and they know they will get more money next year for sending replacements for they staff that do runners over the summer holidays. Its more profitably for an agency to send people to bad schools for the repeat business!

If you ever get to senior level management you have to budget for the cost of recruitment and it can be very high. So an agencies do make some sound economic arguments in certain cases.

Rent a name schools here in Shanghai charge around 30+K uk pounds/student so they can easily afford to pay the price demanded.

International Schools are owned by investment banks so they regard staff and students as raw materials and customers. As such they wish to purchase the lowest quality materials that they can sell to their customers for the highest profit.

Most agencies don't even know the difference from an iPGCE and a PGCE but that's ok as many schools don't even know the difference themselves.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Sadly, most of what february31st has written is true. There are a few exceptions, a few agencies that try to do a decent job.

4. I'm surprised it's so expensive to advertise here.

5. I didn't know international schools were owned by investment banks. That's very surprising.