1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agencies - Why all the lies?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mmm...Milk, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I guess I am just venting, but I am so sick of Agencies posting that they need certain roles to fill "an exciting opportunity at a wonderful school has a arisen - Imediate start! Excellent rates of pay, friendly qualified staff, free CPD, .... blah blah blah" So, that will be imediatly after we have gone through the resigstration process, harrassed people for references, carried out ANOTHER CRB check (at your expense) and expected you to haul your way into some city somewhere and OH! the job went to some one else on our books. The thing that makes me even more cross is not only the raised expectations, but the fact that non teaching friends seem to think that these jobs are real and why haven't I applied for it? BECAUSE IT DOESNT EXIST! It's another agency ploy to get your name on thier books on the off chance that some work will come in and they may get to you first. I am registered with 3 agencies, I don't feel the urge to work with any more.
    And no, I won't accept work as a cover supervisor.

2. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I guess I am just venting, but I am so sick of Agencies posting that they need certain roles to fill "an exciting opportunity at a wonderful school has a arisen - Imediate start! Excellent rates of pay, friendly qualified staff, free CPD, .... blah blah blah" So, that will be imediatly after we have gone through the resigstration process, harrassed people for references, carried out ANOTHER CRB check (at your expense) and expected you to haul your way into some city somewhere and OH! the job went to some one else on our books. The thing that makes me even more cross is not only the raised expectations, but the fact that non teaching friends seem to think that these jobs are real and why haven't I applied for it? BECAUSE IT DOESNT EXIST! It's another agency ploy to get your name on thier books on the off chance that some work will come in and they may get to you first. I am registered with 3 agencies, I don't feel the urge to work with any more.
    And no, I won't accept work as a cover supervisor.

3. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

It is about getting you registered and on their books, because all agencies have their favourites, you get the best jobs or the jobs first. Also in some cases the jobs in question do not exist, the school may be recruiting somebody and we are just getting names, CV's etc just in case they do decide to recruit somebody is often an excuse used. Yes I am getting very cynical in my mature years.

4. It's a disgrace that agencies are left free to LIE about pretend jobs. They word things carefully to avoid being accountable.
    It is a massive waste of time.

5. Agencies favourites (if any) at the mo' are NQTs -"the schools ask for them because they are cheaper"
    yeah, and CS and TAs are cheaper still.....

6. I get up at 0630h every weekday am but have to wait until 0745 for an agent to get into their warm offices...The usual early am dialogue:
    "Good morning this is ZC. I am keen, willing and able this am. Is there any work coming in from schools?"
    Agency worker: Not as yet, it's been very quiet of late. I've just started ringing round schools!
    ZC: Thanks. You've got my mobile. I hope to get a call this am. Why has it been so quiet?
    Agency worker: ummmm ahhhhh. Well schools have only just got back!
    ZC:[​IMG]

8. I have been doing the same thing for the past 9 months. I have gradually made my way through most of the agencies: signing up, being told that there are schools needing my skills, and then...nothing. I have now got my way through two dozen of them, and accumulated 22 CRBs. At one point i was making 10 - 15 phone calls, twice a day.
    Then, yesterday, I was offered my first day's work! it would be a thirty mile drive but I was keen. Later on in the day, another phone call, telling me that the school would only pay CS rates, not teaching rates. I was disappointed but still agreed. Just had an e-mail, cancelling the job. [​IMG]

9. Agencies have been doing this for years. Its nothing new and is a trick used to get fresh meat into their books.

Agencies are scum.

10. Again, further evidence of swindling agencies and schools ripping off fully qualified teachers. I have no idea how supply teachers can expect to make a living and survive doing this.

11. In my days being pimped out by Select, I had all sorts of fun. Getting to schools and being negotiated with in various ways, getting treated like a sub-human. I suppose I let this happen as I was skint and I had the carrot of it "getting better" firmly in my sights.

A school about 30-40 miles away wanted a Science Teacher and I got sent along. "She" had told the school I was coming from about 15 miles away. I was to tell the school that I was from X instead. "It's an important gig she said. It's our foot in the door". Anyway, I knew staff at the school and that was a non-starter.

If this was the sort of behaviour going on about 4 years ago, I shudder to think what it's like now. I imagine the competition and "getting the edge" have gone bonkers. I imagine the abuse has gone up and the people prepared to be abused to even further degrees in order to have a nanosecond nibble at the currency carrot have also.

As I say to everyone. Get out and leave 'em to it.

12. Scum isn't very nice Bobbo.

The jobs are their at the time of putting the ad out, the process to get a teacher cleared can take up to 2 months so in that time the position tends to have been filled. Agencies are aware f this but it shows where they are lacking so they will put an ad out as 9 times out of 10 a similar vacancy will crop up by the time they are processed.

So no they aren't scum bobbo, just forward thinkers.

13. Nope. They are the worst sort of parasitic scum. Employment vermin in fact.

14. are you on a wind up?

What are you basing that on? You're views which are based on conjecture and the feeling of injustice?

15. You made me realise the word scum is inappropriate, and utterly inadequate. I have far worse things to say about them, based on my own experience with a number of these bloodsucking leeches.

The lie, mislead, put up fake ads. Not once have they ever talked me through a job posting they may have put up recently, and instead fobbed me off with ******** and excuses. Sorry to taint your rosy tinted glasses in lalaland but agencies are out for themselves, anyone on their books are merely cattle for the auction.

Stuart, "parasitic vermin" doesnt do justice to them I'm afraid. What they need right now, is to go out of business and crash and burn in these times of austerity.

16. The trouble is they are not going to crash and burn unless the LAs take back the responsibility for supply and if they cannot manage to collect rubbish - labour intensive but relatively simple - they certainly do not want the complicated process that is organising supply ! It is a business like any other where money is all but unfortunately many of us are unwillingly stuck with it - or choose to be. I joined many agencies and take some pleasure in turning some down now when they ring me - too far/ wrong schools/area/ daily rate - I know they do not care (or do they? Its another signing on fee lost) but I have stood up for myself by saying no to CS and TA work and multiple CRBs. I am turning a corner and getting more work now but I have used this time to learn - and what a baptism of fire it has been!

17. Aren't you reliant on them for work though?

18. Support the 38 Degrees campaign, "Using the unqualified as cover "teachers" in schools is totally unacceptable..." Visit the following website:

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1424291-the-use-of-unqualified-staff-as-cover-teachers-i?ref=title

Just do it guys and publicise it to all: students, parents, schools, governors, MPs etc etc

THANKS.

19. Support the 38 Degrees campaign, "Using the unqualified as cover "teachers" in schools is totally unacceptable..." Visit the following website:

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1424291-the-use-of-unqualified-staff-as-cover-teachers-i?ref=title

Just do it guys and publicise it to all: students, parents, schools, governors, MPs etc etc

THANKS.

20. Visit the 38 DEGREES campaigns website and keep voting AGAINST THE USE OF UNQUALIFIED STAFF AS COVER "TEACHERS"!