1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agencies in South East/Buckinghamshire/West London

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mills015h, Mar 8, 2019.

1. mills015h

mills015h New commenter

Hi! Relocating to just outside West London soon and will be looking to take up some supply work after the Easter break. Any recommendations on agencies to sign up with for daily/short-/long-term would be fantastic?

Also, any experience in signing up with one of these agencies whilst outside the country? Would this be feasible or will I need to wait till I’m in the UK?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi mills

I am not in West London, so can't recommend any agencies. Someone may see your post and contact you through private messaging as we are not allowed to name agencies on here according to the terms and conditions of this site.

You will probably have to wait until you return to the UK as you will need to provide original documents of all your qualifications, passport, birth certificate etc and also attend an interview. In addition you will need to apply for a DBS Certificate.

Once you are back in the UK and have organised all your documents it will then be a matter of attending interviews with the agencies and the DBS certificate is portable if you sign up to the update service which is a straightforward process and the agencies will be able to explain all of that to you.

If you have never worked as a supply teacher before, you may be interested in reading the "New to Supply " thread pinned at the top of this forum. When you go to attend agency interviews and get to the part about how you will be paid, try not to go with agencies that do not offer you PAYE. You can ask them about that before you attend any interview.

Keep us posted on how you get on and we will always try to help you. There are a lot of experienced supply teachers who post on here so there is always a listening ear.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Have sent you a pm

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

NW London and Buckinghamshire are my areas, and work in these parts is very thin on the ground. London, and the surrounding areas have too many teachers chasing too little work.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  5. mills015h

mills015h New commenter

Really? I did some supply work a couple years back in south London and found it very easy to find a steady flow of daily supply, was hoping west London would be no different.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

In primary or secondary? In secondary, unless you are willing to do long-term for a pittance, supply is very thin on the ground.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Chosen15

Chosen15 New commenter

In Buckinghamshire there’s a agency called the supply desk and they primarily deal with placing you into supply work based on your prefences.

8. Jolly_Roger15

@Chosen15: I joined the agency you mentioned in 2012 and it has yet to find me any work!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Chosen15

Chosen15 New commenter

That’s so bizarre! I’m a recent undergrad with no teaching qualification and I’m on supply work for every day that I said I’m available. Maybe contact them to update your availability as there’s at least two schools i know in the Buckinghamshire region that has supply teachers in their school everyday!

10. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Ah, you see Chosen, you are cheap to employ as you're not a qualified teacher. If you are an experienced teacher like JollyRoger, it is very difficult to get work as schools don't want to pay for experience.

11. Chosen15

Chosen15 New commenter

Oh I see that makes sense

agathamorse likes this.