1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agencies appearing from nowhere/long term versus day to day

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Anyone else being BOMBARDED with phone calls about potential permanent or long term supply posts in September at the moment?

Although I guess it's always an ego boost to feel wanted, I feel like saying and actually did to one this morning, "You're all really just drumming up business and where are you all the rest of the year?!"

Half of these agencies I have never heard before. One admitted they are a new agency, only a few months old, on one message yesterday. I'm receiving at least two a day at present?

Although I know loyalty doesn't REALLY exist, I have kept with one particular agency as, let's face it, it's better tax-wise and I have really had no reason to go with other agencies as they have kept me 'as if full time' just with the work they have.

A while ago, I may have been lulled into the 'trap' ( in inverted commas because obviously it's not a trap for some people and does offer more consistency and security I guess in the long term for some people) of thinking that 'I HAVE' to have something long term 'set up' for September. However, from experience, while it can be great to have your own class, equally where I have given 'loyalty' it has not always been returned like for like, I find you do stack more of paperwork than 'day-to-day' supply and don't usually get paid more/paid to scale etc. You can do as much as any permanent member of staff and in fact often much more but still be seen as 'the supply'. In my last long term, when 12 weeks was up, mysteriously different arrangement were made!

At present, I'm loving it on 'day-to-day' supply, I love the variety, the ease, the flexibility etc, but am I mad for NOT wanting a 'long term supply assignment'? I've proven to myself that I have equivalent full time supply work on a daily basis, so why do agencies promote long terms as some sort of favour or cherry on the top they are giving to you?

I guess there's the risk that they isn't as much supply in September, BUT that said you could say the same for this time of year and yet am more in demand than ever/turning work down and have just secured few weeks with same school for LAST three weeks of school term.

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Long term placements are where the work is. Fewer schools are using external, bought in supply for day to day cover when they can use a cover supervisor.

The advantage to the agency of long term is they can predict the income. I assume that assuring a school of a long term means that each day is a repeat sale.

The advantage to the supply teacher is that they can ask for a lot more pay long before 12 weeks if the long term placement requires the full job description.

3. I guess it depends on your area and what you teach etc. So many variables.

For me, I left a full time role last year and have done 'day to day' supply all year - haven't looked back and have resolutely told the numerous agencies texting/calling me about September jobs that I am not interested.

Yes, I hate the 7am phone calls. Yes, I get nervous on my way to a new school or a school I've been to that maybe wasn't such a joy the last time. Yes, I have to plan financially for upcoming school holidays etc. But boy do I enjoy skipping out of there, usually before 4pm, enjoying my evenings and weekends again and choosing when I want work/not work. Oh, and if I have a terrible day, I always know in 6 hours at the most it'll be over and some poor ****** has to teach this class every day.

It's not for everyone. But you wouldn't get me back in a full time role, especially one not paid to scale.

I've thought that if a time comes when I have children, or bigger financial responsibilities, I will go back to the classroom "full time".... but I've learned enough while working on supply to know I won't be going through a agency to look for a job if it happens...

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Day-to-day and even longer term can depend very much on where you are.. All I know is that there is not much of either anywhere near me (Uxbridge). At this time of year, the phone hardly stops ringing with agencies, old and new, trying to interest you in jobs that probably don't exist. When you hear the voice on the line saying, "I found your CV online....."

5. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I am loving dtd, still working very day this term, mostly pre-booked, so rarely need the 7am call. Also resisting long tern for Sept, for reasons other have said.

Really have to constantly keep your wits about you with the agents tho' - one that has always been honest yesterday suckered me into doing a primary role when I have always made it clear I do not want do primary. Arrived at a an all-through school where I work a lot in their secondary school, to be greeted by the cover person saying - didn't the agency tell you it is the primary today? Err, no. Was clear from what she said that the agency was fully aware that it was primary and she said she had told him to let me know just to go across the road to the primary to save me the longer walk around to the secondary... Obviously did the day so as not to leave the school in the lurch.

As this was a two day booking made it clear to the agent that I would not do the second day as they knew I did not agree to primary.

Luckily the other agency had work for me today in another school where I have just had two free periods and start teaching after break :)

I have also told the school I have no primary training and so please not to book me for primary.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I think what michrob1 wrote is what sums it up for me in that if I have had a bad day I know it won't be me that has to teach the badly behaved every day and I can if fact escape!

I'll take my chances with day to day.

7. americanateach

americanateach New commenter

You're not crazy. I love day to day supply. It's nice to finish work by 4:30 and not bring any work home! I've taken days off to go on holiday early, for birthday celebrations, out of town weddings, etc. The flexibility is nice. Primary in my region is in desperate need of teachers, so there is enough work.

Don't hesitate to say no to long term if you're getting by happily on day to day.

8. I like day to day also as I do a days work then go home before 4pm. Long term through agencies is rubbish. You do all the extra work a normal teacher does for the same or only slightly more rate. If I wanted full time I'd apply for jobs so I am entitled to holidays pay and sick pay etc.

Agencies love getting you on long term as it is easy for them. One call to get you in the placement then every day they take their 50-100 pound cut without having to talk to you again.

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

There is an adage that goes 'work like a horse but get fed like a mouse', which is about what doing long-term through agency is like.

10. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Michrob1 you have summed up my feelings about supply over full time perfectly too! I really love supply and my stress levels plummeted once I left full time! I do tell agencies that I won't go back to some schools if they are a nightmare but don't worry about doing so. I also book myself on courses that I want to attend and love going on them knowing I don't have to report back to whole staff/ SMT about them!