1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agencies and dbs

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SEBREGIS, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:07 PM.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

As part of my eternal quest to find the right school, I’m registering with a leading recruitment agency. As well as all their other forms, they are asking me to get a new dbs.

Personally, I’m dubious. Seems to me that as I’m after a permanent job, it should be my next employer who forks out £40 to do this. In fact, the agency seems far more geared towards supply staff than permanent jobs.

I’m tempted to say ‘you find me some interviews, then I’ll think about it.’

Does this seem churlish? Or should I just get a new dbs and make sure it’s on the update service?

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Only you can decide whether you feel that the cost of £40 in order to access their services is money worth spending.

Are there other agencies available that don't charge? Sounds like pretty standard practice to me.

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

I could buy ten history books on Amazon for that....

A DBS has to be completed before I get a new job. I just feel I’d rather do it after I’ve had an offer than now, as it’s more normal for a school to run their own. It’s only agencies doing short term supply that pass the cost of it on to employees, and I don’t think this lot have entirely listened when I told them I was only currently interested in permanent jobs.

4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Given agency finder fees are you going about your job search the right way? Agencies demand a huge fee from schools which may put schools off.

Some agencies refund DBS when you have worked a certain number of days.

Also, you can subscribe to the DBs update service for c£20pa once DBS comes through.

It's a pain but why cut yourself off from finding work quickly?

A bit of supply can give you some breathing space and find out what schools are really like.

I hope you find work quickly.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I refused to do this for two agencies.

I requested that they pay. I suggested that I would repay them after my first three days of work. They declined. That tells me they wouldn't try very hard to find me work or have much confidence in finding me work. So ... on yer bike. They clearly have little confidence in me and that's reciprocated.

I have enhanced DBS as a volunteer and am on the update service. This does not apply to paid work! Ridiculous. I am allowed to have homeless youngsters living in my house but not cleared to go into some random school and stand in front of a couple of dozen kids!

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As far as I know you can only get a Basic DBS check for yourself (£25 via the .gov.uk website).

If you need Standard or Enhanced it has to be via an organisation, ie an LEA or agency.

7. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

The agency will work predominantly with supply staff.
    I imagine if you don't do any supply work for them then you would be quickly forgotten and bottom of the list for being put forward for permanent jobs.

Just apply to schools yourself in the traditional way. From my experience of agencies, if they told me it was Saturday I would check.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I agree with @grumpydogwoman. An agency that tries to make money out of you before it finds you any work is best avoided. That DBS is still seen as a money-making scam by some agencies is evinced by some trying to charge applicants for checking their online status, or to insist that 'schools will want a new DBS check, despite being on the update service

grumpydogwoman likes this.