1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agencies: a totally unnecessary EVIL!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by emmadrg, Mar 6, 2012.

1. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Agreed. Agencies want to get you into work just so they can make money. Schools should go back to the LA supply lists, but then that might mean the poor cover manager has to do a tiny bit more work in the morning. Instead of ringing X agency to say "I need three teachers, preferably in these subjects", they might actually have to ring teachers themselves. Poor them, actually having to do the job that they are paid to do.
    Then again, with all schools pretty much being shunted into academy status and out of LA control, what would happen to the LA supply lists? Would academy groups/federations have their own supply pools?
    Whoever wins, I think we're all shafted [​IMG]

2. Schools love agencies as they have Quality Mark to ensure good practice.
    Not that anyone asks us supply teachers!
    However you cant just blame the agencies.

3. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Quality Mark = good practice, my ar-se!

4. Quality Mark makes agencies look good, Quality Mark makes schools look good.
    So both are happy.
    I am not happy because I could not care a jot about Quality Mark!

5. Agencies are useless, loads of schools around here refuse to use them.

6. jj80

jj80 New commenter

Heres something fun to do when your bored....search for them on Facebook! I was quite shocked to see how young they were...and even some have their wall's public. It was nice to read about how they hate their jobs and one even mentioned how she hates teachers! lol

7. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

Of course the agency is using you. Unfortunately supply teaching agencies often do this to get people to sign up. They want a nice big pool of people on their books so that if they happen to have the odd booking which they can't fill with one of their regulars, they make sure they still get their commission for that day's work by using some poor sod who otherwise never hears from them. Asking them for long term work is like talking to a brick wall. From what I've learned of the Government's Work Programme providers over the past few weeks, it appears that they employ the same kind of people as 'consultants' as supply teaching agencies do (ie people who seem to be in it for what they can get rather than to actually help their clients). Out of interest, there's a website called companycheck where you can find out exactly how much money that agency who hardly ever gives you any work is raking in.

8. A short time ago I saw an advert on the Reed website that was posted on behalf of a teacher agency in the Nottingham area. The advert asked for an HLTA to provide PPA cover in the afternoons.
    I rang the agency concerned to query this advert and asked the consultant what was meant by cover. He could not do so so I explained to him that cover only occurs when a teacher is absent from a timetabled teaching session and as a teacher is not timetabled to teach during PPA time cover should not be involved.
    I suggested to him that the wording of his adverts could be misleading and that they were actually advertising for an HLTA to replace a teacher. His excuse was that his agency was in fact just using the wording provided by the school - in other words the schools do not know the meaning of cover and teacher absence.
    But should the agencies be able to use that as an excuse for poor standards of advertising?
    This consultant did say that he would consult with the schools on this form of advertising but what are the chances of that happening or that they will take note of my commments.