1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ageism

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sciencevideo, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Why is there so much ageism in teaching?

2. or is there?

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Definitely - they wouldn't let me teach until was old enough to have finished my degree [​IMG]

4. I got my job when I was 52 so no ageism here

5. crashcentre

crashcentre New commenter

There is so much because for one thing younger teachers are cheaper and for another thing, older teachers can see the re-invented wheels for what they are. Just saying.

6. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

There are many clueless heads in their 50s, and a fair few of the same in their 60s and 40s. Meanwhile there a number of 30 somethings, the odd fella or lass in their 20s and a fair few 40 somethings (who probably wouldn't do it though for the dosh on offer) who would do the job far better having took less time to gain the same experience because they weren't busy climbing a ladder scared to look down - but I don't see too many of them getting anywhere close. They would be cheaper though........is this ageism?

7. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Kem, did you do this with a bottle of Ba Ba Ba (333 beer for the uninitiated) in your hand?

8. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

No Mike, just gently (or ungently) making the point that "ageism" (cheaper) is a mostly meaningless load of old cobblers.

9. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

True, it was just the way you put it!

10. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I have certainly noticed here in Thailand that a few more teachers are not getting their contracts renewed after the age of 60. I am not sure if that is the law here as there are also quite a few still merrily teaching much older, however it does seem to be a good way of getting rid of either very expensive, or sometimes people who have been around too long and have just grown stale.

However I still meet people who are even older than me who are very, very good teachers.

My own bugbear? Boys and girls who now seem to join the profession in order (ordure) to become a Head as soon as possible. They do 2 years maximum in posts, get their Masters in International Education and then go for the next promotion, don't care if it doesn't fit with what they have done before, ie, pastoral one job, academic the next. They become complete jack of all trades and masters of none. Probably just my age but most of them really aren't very good practitioners just great at paper shuffling. Mind you I still have a way to go before retirement so I had better just toe the line......

Perce

11. electricsheep

electricsheep New commenter

Well I once worked under a Head who said 'young teachers don't complain all the time like older experienced teachers'...so call that ageism if you like!

12. I was going to do a separate post for this but it as it relates to the same issue, I thought I may as well add it to here.

I am a 45 year old woman who would like to teach English in Asia - initially Thailand. I have a little teaching experience although I will be looking to enrol on a CELTA course. I have a degree and I am also a qualified solicitor (useless in other jurisdictions but shows a level of education).

I want to teach, have the freedom to travel and earn a reasonable wage to finance things. I am not ambitiously looking to climb a career ladder. I recognise that I am neither a backpacker nor an experienced professional.

Am I on a complete fools errand? Will my age and gender cause any problems?

Thank you for any advice.

13. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

My advice is to search on a TEFL forum as this one is for schoolteachers.

You would be in demand to teach legal or business English after a CELTA but whether there is a market for that in Thailand I don't know. You could try universities in China or language schools that do business English but they won't offer you a reasonable wage.

Most of the jobs are on tefl.com. When you look at the salaries you might be in for a shock.

14. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

You know I'm told I 'complain/moan' a lot.

Probably have to hold my hand up and admit it is true but I'd suggest I'm highlighting things we need to do better, haven't been thought through or are particularly pointless. I notice a lot and discover through conversation that my colleagues feel likewise, but are scared to say anything. Seems pretty stupid to me that something potentially dangerous, tedious or unfair hasn't been discussed and a better solution considered. As long as I'm raising worthy points or asking for rationale, rather than throwing my rattle out the pram, think I'm acting in a thoroughly professional capacity.

Amazing how difficult the art of communication has become to some people in our profession and what stupid decisions are made. I know a school that had a problem with support staff leaving soon after the students. A blanket ban was put in place on all staff who then had to stay over an hour past the end of a school day, whether they had work commitments or not. That killed the flexibility for all staff yet the support staff simply sat in the staffroom drinking coffee! Another school stopped staff photocopying. Teachers had tell individual A who repeated the instruction to individual B who made a copy. It took twice as long to get stuff copied and errors were regularly made through miscommunication.