1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ageism, or age eligibility for different countries.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by p3t3rsen, Feb 11, 2020.

1. p3t3rsen

p3t3rsen New commenter

Good morning colleagues. I am 67 years of age, and still love teaching, so I still want to keep working. Are there any countries where age is NOT a barrier to visa, therefore teaching positions? I would greatly appreciate any responses.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

In China, you can carry on teaching after 60, if you already have a job, but I think that you will not get a new position after 60.

How about online teaching? That might be suitable. I am thinking of doing a bit of that, after I retire (again).

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I'm 70+ and still teaching here in Spain. There are no age bars here. It would be illegal. However, demand for jobs is high, so it might be tricky to land one. What subject do you teach?

4. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Agree with Mike, I'm technically 'retired' but keep getting called back for 'just one more small job...'

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

all of this is available with a simple google. the list of countries that will not take you is a lot smaller than the ones that will.

all this information is only a click away

6. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

My father-in-law taught in China until he was 68, and he changed jobs a couple of times when he was in his 60s. He was teaching EAL and worked in a mix of higher/further education and private language schools in several different cities. I'm not certain what his visa situation was, but he didn't have permanent leave to remain in China or anything like that, his visa was always through his jobs. He had to retire due to ill health and was really unhappy to leave China, he loved it there.

7. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Yeah, but I imagine you have residency there (from having an EU passport, married to local or having worked there so long etc) and don't need a work permit.

Are you saying that a non-EU teacher, at say 70, could (in theory) get a visa from the government to work in Spain?

Ever thought about volunteering to teach refugees/asylum seekers? Or how about doing private lessons?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. miketribe

My school has quite often hired American teachers who have retired back in the States. We had an IB Coordinator/physics teacher who was in her late 60s/early 70s. There was never a problem getting them permits...

kpjf likes this.
  9. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Do they fall under the retirement visa scheme? Used to be 60 but it's 65 now. Although, the pension pot can lower the age minimum limit.

Spain has an agreement with the US, Canada and Australia. They will need to prove (huge) money, pension or savings pot, not coming all at once though. Portugal has a similar 'Golden' visa scheme, this pot is over $750k USD combined (2 people). Not sure how much Spain is. For the in-laws, last look 6-7 years ago was upper €500k, could be more now. They can work, study, access health care and live like a resident.

10. miketribe

I fear you are misinformed. These may the requirements if you are not coming here to take up a job, but if your employer applies for a work/residence permit on your behalf, NONE of these restrictions apply.

11. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

I merely asked IF they fell under the retirement scheme..

There's no misinformation. I outlined the requirements for other nationalalities post 65 - retiring (and still being able to work) in Spain. Shedding a (good) light for the concern of ageism.