1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ageing teachers at risk on dying in classroom?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 21, 2019.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've known two members of staff die on a school day, both around 50

agathamorse likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

People do die on the job. The Notre Dame fire reminded me that the cathedral's great organist from 1900 to 1937, Louis Vierne, died (as he had always hoped) on the job. He fell off the organ stool as a result of either a stroke or heart attack while playing, leaving one foot stuck on the bottom E pedal, creating a bass note that shook the cathedral for some minutes before his body was pulled away.

(Sorry for the digression!)

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I was at school the Headmaster, who lived on the premises, died while in post and the funeral service was held in school with the coffin carried through the hall. I've no idea how old he was, we thought he was ancient but he had two teenage sons at the school.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. oldsomeman

Maybe he had a young wife who kept him busy?
    But its never nice to hearofany dying in work.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The year after I left my second school a teacher had a heart attack and died in front of a class. She wasn't very old though.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not something I personally have ever experienced.

agathamorse and Ivartheboneless like this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There was teacher at the first school I taught at who shortly before I arrived had a heart attack and died on the school bus when he was on duty. It was the last day of the school year and the next day was to be the first day of his retirement.

I know it's an outlier, but I've always taken it as a warning to not listen too much to averages when who knows if you'll be in the 5th (or lower) percentile.

nizebaby and agathamorse like this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

With the (unnecessary) rises in state pension age and TPS scheme retirement age this becomes inevitable, even ignoring the "purge" of teachers on higher scales done by academies so that the salaries of those teachers can be pocketed by sycophants, hangers on, and appointees of the head or "principal". People die on the job in many professions, and I do not mean in accidents.

bombaysapphire and agathamorse like this.
  10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I know only of teachers taking their own lives because of the job. Just as bad I guess.:oops:

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

DO NOT be flippant about such things.

A very good friend of mine committed suicide in a hotel in London in 2003 - the effect on me - and the school was profound and it took me personally a long time to come to terms with it.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

No, she had seemed quite old too but had a dramatic change after he died and started wearing more colourful, smarter clothes. She had worked as the school nurse while he was Head but had to leave the live-in accommodation when he died. I assumed she got a council house (New Town - plenty of good housing ) but might have been wrong about that.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I don't think anyone is being flippant, @peakster . teacher suicides are a big concern, and actual numbers are well disguised and impossible to calculate

agathamorse likes this.
  14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

There must be an increased risk of this with the higher retirement age. It must also increase the risk of a teacher developing Alzheimer's disease while still working.

InkyP, agathamorse and ilovesooty like this.
  15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

There is a reluctance to put suicide on any death certificate, not just teachers.

16. LondonCanary

The same applies for every occupation.

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

True. Adults in other occupations are less likely to be solely responsible for a roomful of children.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My last head but one popped his clogs while in post.

19. LondonCanary

I don't think that influences life expectancy.

20. oldsomeman

It just it was in the article quoted and i was unsure if it did happen a lot,I do understand the percentage that there must be some chance of it happening.