1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cgservice, Feb 18, 2016.

1. cgservice

cgservice New commenter

do applicants have to put date of birth on forms. this is often the third thing they see and i worry about agesim as i have been a victim so many times. Also i have been asked to put my age too! I am 50 but what has my age got to do with my professionalism and ability to do the job. surely i have more teaching experience and maybe moire patience and life experience? which is what counts isn't it? maybe be i should put salary negotiable if it a question of cost?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Age is an illegal factor for consideration for appointments. Very many application forms nowadays don't include it.

And many schools use blind shortlisting.

Blind shortlisting, done this way:
    • Office staff receive applications. Give each one a number. Then front page of application (the one with name, age, address, DoB, etc) removed.
    • Remainder of form plus letter, Exec Summary if it is there, then have names removed and replaced with candidate number.
    • Then photocopied and given to shortlisting committee
    • We select the candidates by number without knowing gender, age or possible race/religion
    In that way, age cannot be considered for shortlisting.

Read this article, by the way

Jobseeking for the older candidate

And perhaps I should just check: have you been to the Jobseekers Forum and found all the advice articles on applications?

Best wishes

casperyc likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's always been easy to see approximately how old a candidate is from their dates of school exams, etc - so whether or not you have to put your age, it's 'there' on your application.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed.

And the safeguarding requirement to give a full education and employment history with dates and accounting for all gaps means that assessing the age of a candidate (if the interviewing panel wishes to do so) is a cinch.

Such things as age and gender are very difficult for an interviewing panel to ignore, whatever the legislation is with regard to discrimination.

5. cgservice

cgservice New commenter

thanks, all they have to do is look at the dates of your qualifications really? does it just come down to cost of younger candidiates?

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

As Theo will point out (here or in Jobseekers), there is no pay portability anymore so schools are not restricted in relation to salary offered.

In respect of age, I returned to secondary teaching at 46 with a one-term temporary contract, a one-year fixed term contract and last year - about to turn 48 (eek!), was successful in getting a permanent position. I was up against NQTs and more experienced teachers, so I don't think it's an age issue, but I was able to show that I had continued learning/studying, had a family, etc., and how my experience was relevant to their school.

I will also say that my salary for a '3rd year' of teaching is reasonable and reflects my postgraduate qualifications - my predecessor came in as an NQT a few years beforehand and my salary was either the same or higher (and I'm 20 years older)...

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

1. Of course! Someone who gives the dates of their O levels as 1986 and their A levels as 1988 is going to be at least 45 years old, for example.

2. Not at all. Heads are primarily interested in the getting the best teacher for the post (they have to be - the head's own job depends on it). A lot of people on here believe that all that drives appointments is cost, which would be daft for the reason I've just given. Having interviewed a lot of candidates for a lot of jobs, however, I can say that sometimes older candidates don't interview terribly well - for a number of reasons, I think.

sabrinakat likes this.